Rookie

Is (dynamic) prefix delegation actually useful?

I've just come over from FiOS, and I was interested to see that TWC actually supports IPv6 in my area.  I've successfully requested a single IPv6 address on my CentOS 7 firewall, so requesting a subnet should be a "simple" matter of configuration on the firewall.  But after reading up on how prefix delegation works, I'm struggling to come up with a way in which it can be useful -- assuming that the delegated subnet can potentially change.

I have a somewhat complex home network with the afformentioned firewall (NAT & forwarding), a "router" that also runs various network services (DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc.), and a number of separate VLANs for things like kids' systems, IP phones, wireless devices, etc.  Many of the IP addresses and routing/firewall rules are static, and it's hard to see how this can work in a prefix delegation scenario without completely failing if the delegated subnet ever changes.

Am I missing something?

1 REPLY
Seasoned Contributor

Re: Is (dynamic) prefix delegation actually useful?

pilcher wrote:

Am I missing something?

No.  That said they rarely change and usually because the duid changes for some reason -- so useful work can be done with the rare interruption.

If you need a static prefix get one from HE.