Observer

Re: IPv6 lost after modem swap to SB6141

ziesemer wrote:

The L3 tech I just spoke to "knows" that they are working deployments of the SB6141 w/ IPv6 in northern Ohio - but is unsure about other markets,

My understanding, which comes primarly from reading this thread and others similar to it, is that the problem is not so much the SB6141 as it is with the firmware for Hardware Version 8.0 of the SB6141. If you have an older hardware version of the SB6141 then apparently IPv6 support works.

I have no idea what the problem may be with this newer version of the SB6141. That is part of what makes this situation so frustrating. Smiley Sad

Observer

bodosom wrote:

Don't move the goal post.  ...  If you are aware of those things then I don't understand why you posted this rebuttal to an assertion I didn't make.

Sorry - I didn't mean any offense, and only the first paragraph was meant as a reply to the quote.  Any of my frustration here is with TWC, and not with yourself.

Observer

To recap my progress (or lack thereof) on this today:  After contacts with multiple L3 technicians and trying to get everyone on the same page and agreeing to the same story - at least for my issue close to Appleton, WI, this was not a modem issue, but a lack of current IPv6 availability on the node.  I.E., myself and the entire neighborhood or so are impacted, and there is nothing we can do about it until the node is reprovisioned.  No one was able to provide me with an expectation or an estimate as to when this may happen.

The L3 technicians also agreed that the SB6141v8 would also work with the currently provisioned *firmware*.  The boot version may need to be manually pushed for an upgrade by TWC in some cases, but not anyone I talked to today was aware of a systemic issue here with the SB6141, including v8.  (Take it for what its worth.)

Regardless, for now - my SB6141 will be returned, since it provides me no additional benefit until if/when IPv6 support comes to my neighborhood.

Seasoned Contributor

ziesemer wrote:
Any of my frustration here is with TWC, and not with yourself.

Well that is completely understandable.  On the bright side there are currently no residential IPv6 issues at Charter -- because I understand they don't (yet) do production residential IPv6.

Seasoned Contributor

ziesemer wrote:

To recap my progress (or lack thereof) on this today:  After contacts with multiple L3 technicians and trying to get everyone on the same page and agreeing to the same story - at least for my issue close to Appleton, WI, this was not a modem issue, but a lack of current IPv6 availability on the node.

You should do direct support here -- e.g. message TWC-PhilB.  IPv6 has been available in 100% of the TWC residential footprint since last fall and no one should be saying otherwise or acting as if you need to justify the request.

Observer

I just received a follow-up phone call from a TWC L3 technician.

• He confirmed that the SB6141 does have a known issue with the v8 hardware only - as noted by PhilB and others earlier in this email thread.  (It was just refreshing to hear someone from phone support be on the same page.)  They will be working with the corporate web team to update http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html with some sort of notation for the SB6141 that IPv6 support is under development.
  • He confirmed that "IPv6 is available in 100% of the TWC residential footprint", with an exception for "northern Kentucky" (as I believe it was mentioned), for a newer service area that TWC had just acquired - which is still being worked on being fully-integrated into the TWC network.

So I'm back to a modem issue for now.  I'll see if I can't get a temporary lease on a loaner from the TWC retail store to confirm this.

Rookie

Any update? I'm in the exact same boat as you :/
Observer

No, no significant updates from me, at least in terms of the SB6141. I could share a novel of disappointment with TWC. In summary, *none* of the modems that the TWC retail store are leasing out (at least in Appleton, WI) are IPv6 compatible on their own network. Not their "standard" Ubee Ambit DDW3611, nor the other 3 models they found in the back after I made an issue of it. I picked up another from their supported list at a local store, and now have native IPv6 dual-stack support - including a /56 routeable block.
Rookie

Thanks for the follow up... What modem did you end up with?
Observer

scrupul0us wrote:
Thanks for the follow up... What modem did you end up with?

I don't mean to endorse anything - but in the spirit of openness:

My next step was a D-Link DCM301.  I was hoping for a Linksys CM3008 (or CM3024) - but I couldn't find them stocked near me.  The DCM301 worked (IPv6 and all), however:  The admin UI was clunky.  There wasn't even a spot to display the modem's own HFC MAC address.  And it died less than 12 hours later, electronic failure.  (Power supply tested o.k., but the indicator lights would only come up at partial intensity and blink sporadically.)  I exchanged at the same store but a different location, which didn't even carry D-Link (not that I would have trusted another one anyway) - but also didn't have any of the Linksys models.

I ended up with a Zoom 5345.  Worked immediately, and been working for the 2 weeks since.  (Their business-grade dial-up modems were good to me back in the day - and it looks like they still know what they're doing in the modem space...)