Browser

IPv6 lost after modem swap to SB6141

Per my old post, I moved from an old leased modem to a new leased TG1672G modem that supported IPv6, and all was right in the world. TWC decided that they were going to start charging me a modem rental fee, so I bought a retail SB6141. I asked the offshore provisioning person if this would impact my ability to obtain IPv6 addresses, and was told no. However, like @msorelle in my original post, now I just see outbound router solicitations from my firewall, but no inbound IPv6 traffic of ANY kind in my captures. Did the provisioning team screw up, since we know my firewall and area support IPv6? What's the best way to correct this?

41 REPLIES
Expert

Re: IPv6 lost after modem swap to SB6141

[ Edited ]

What are you using for TWC phone service?

The 1672's can't do IPv6 and phone , they switched to the technicolor 8715s. 

Does your 6141 have this firmware in it?    or is it a HW v 8.0?

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: 0001
Firmware Build Time: Mar 6 2014 15:23:55

Browser

What are you using for TWC phone service? - I didn't mention phones.

The 1672's can't do IPv6 and phone. - I didn't mention phones. I mentioned that I had IPv6 working.

Does your 6141 have this firmware in it?    or is it a HW v 8.0?

Okay, I'll bite. Here's what I've got:

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK)(W) 1.0.12.18m5
Hardware Version: 8.0
Serial Number: 
Firmware Build Time: Jan 22 2015 14:31:03

Expert

Yup... that's a problem, join the list of people in the version 8 hardware thread... TWC is only supporting version 7 hardware.

Complain over in the direct to tech forum, I'll bet you're also seeing a SW fail in the error log.

What do you have for phone? a seperate modem (the 1672?) and splitter? or dropped TWC phone ?

Browser

What's a "phone"? Smiley Wink

Expert

You don't have TWC phone service? They shouldn't have given you a 1672...

Browser

I raised the issue at DSLReports "direct support", but if any other SB6141-using peeps have useful info, I'm all ears.

Browser

Official word is that, at least today (Jan 6, 2016), the latest supported model of SB6141 for IPv6 is hardware version 7. If the level 3 person I spoke to gets an update from the NOC about support timelines, he'll let me know and I'll report back here. In the meantime, back to finding a compatible modem.

Newcomer

Well this is frustrating.  I just got this cable modem today (yes is is v8) specifically so I could get IPv6 because my old modem was ancient.  I've called technical support 3 times being directly escelated to L2 and the basic response I was getting is that TWC does not support IPv6 where I live which is totally wrong.  Thank you for having the correct answer to this!

Now I need to decide if I should return the modem and get a different one or hold out for this issue to be resolved.

Browser

I don't know if the compatibility issues are specific to certain regions, types/versions of headends, etc., so do take it with a grain of salt. (Plus I'm just some random on the Internet!) But that's what I got from support today. I'm with you, though. I got a good deal on my SB6141, so I'm debating waiting it out and going with a tunnel broker like HE, paying out the nose for a Zoom, or chancing it with another eBay 6141.