Browser

IPv6 in Northern Kentucky (legacy Insight area)

Per the sticky message at the top of the IPv6 forum, "IPv6 has been deployed across all TWC residential markets". I called tech support to confirm this as well as whether my TWC-supplied modem/router combo, an Arris DG950A, is supported, and was told by the first tier support agent that IPv6 is not yet available in my area. So is @Spectrum-PhilB correct or is the first tier tech correct?

Also, I see that my modem is not included in the list of IPv6-capable modems, and nowhere in its settings are there IPv6 fields. If I run this modem in bridging mode and use my own router, should I receive an address via DHCPv6? If the service is available in my area, but not supported on this modem, how do I get the modem swapped out if the support group says all is well?

Thanks,

slkdfjsdlkfj

8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: IPv6 in Northern Kentucky (legacy Insight area)

IPv6 doesn't work well in most areas... won't work with TWC phone service as that's coming out of a 3rd data center. TWC refuses to add in the proper DNS servers at the RDC's ... the fix for 1672's was to replace them with buggy Technicolor gateways...

Maybe in another year they will.... Jan 2015 is long gone....

Browser

Any on-topic replies that don't involve phones, modems I don't have, or generalizations?

Rookie

I'd like a response on this as well, I went out and purchased an Arris/Moto SB6183 a month or so back hoping that v6 would 'just work' since I was formerly using a leased Insight provided RCA/Thompson that's nowhere to be found on their modem list but I see no ipv6 activity and based on this in the log, I guess I shouldn't expect anything.

Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4

I don't really care if they are providing working v6 dns servers, that's something I have, but working routing advertisements/assignments would be SOMETHING

Observer

msorelle wrote:

I'd like a response on this as well, I went out and purchased an Arris/Moto SB6183 a month or so back hoping that v6 would 'just work' since I was formerly using a leased Insight provided RCA/Thompson that's nowhere to be found on their modem list but I see no ipv6 activity and based on this in the log, I guess I shouldn't expect anything.

Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4

I don't really care if they are providing working v6 dns servers, that's something I have, but working routing advertisements/assignments would be SOMETHING

On my SB6141 I get 'Modem's IP Mode IPv4 Only' but it doesn't matter as I still get an ipv6 address but only when if I enable Ipv6 on my router, then reboot the router and finally ipv6 appears. As we all know its a bit buggy and messing with the ipv6 settings can cause it to stop working and need a rebooting to bring it back. Connecting a computer directly to the modem gets no ipv6 at all. That message in the log you get pretains to if they use ipv4 or 6 for provisioning and stuff and doesn't mean that ipv6 is disable at all, but a friend in a different area on TWC gets 'Modem's IP Mode IPv6 Only' which means they do all that stuff via ipv6 which is probably coming soon to all areas. So you could try setting ipv6 to native in the router, then rebooting the router and see if you get an ipv6 address or not. If you don't have a router that would explain the lack of a ivp6 address.

Rookie

south of my cable modem sits a fortigate 100D with ipv6 enabled, when I sniff on the segment between the modem and the firewall, I see the dhcp6 solicit packets go out from my side but never a response.

When I take the same box and place it south of a cisco I have here, it gets it's network assignment just fine.

What region are you in? NKY/Former Insight Communications? 

I'd love to troubleshoot this with TWC if in fact it should be working, but ipv6 appears to be a topic that tech support is ill equipped to discuss basically at all, I've yet to have an even halfway coherent discussion with anyone about it when I call.

Rookie

So this thread sparked my interest to spend some time with my network down and lo and behold, after cycling the modem and admin down/up'ing my wan interface I'm getting a /64 so maybe it's just flaky or theres a long provisioning delay once you move to an approved modem, but for now, it seems to be working.

I also now see router advertisements and v6 mdns now when sniffing even with no CPE with up interfaces, so there is definitely v6 traffic present now that wasn't before.

Now to see how stable it is...

Observer

msorelle wrote:

So this thread sparked my interest to spend some time with my network down and lo and behold, after cycling the modem and admin down/up'ing my wan interface I'm getting a /64 so maybe it's just flaky or theres a long provisioning delay once you move to an approved modem, but for now, it seems to be working.

I also now see router advertisements and v6 mdns now when sniffing even with no CPE with up interfaces, so there is definitely v6 traffic present now that wasn't before.

Now to see how stable it is...

I'm glad you got it to work, as I've said its a bit buggy if you mess with the ipv6 settings, but otherwise works fine, although I had to use google ipv6 dns as TWC doesn't have any ipv6 addresses for their dns yet. I'm in the Lincoln NE area, so not even close to NKY, but the systems have a similar configuration for ipv6. I only got it to give me an address after I rebooted the modem and router at the same time with ipv6 set to native in the router first, and it finally gave me an ipv6 address. Tier 3 tech support wasn't sure if it was enabled or not even, but someone else in Lincoln had it so I knew it was on.

Highlighted
Browser

Thanks for your replies, all. I called tech support again, and instead of asking whether IPv6 was supported, I just asked if I could swap out my leased modem for another that supports IPv6. This rep listed a few that were in stock locally, pointed me to a retail store, and after swapping out my Arris DG950A for a TG1672G, I see RAs coming through when running in bridged mode.