Highlighted
Observer

IPv6 in Newark, Ohio?

Hello. For the past few years, I've been waiting on IPv6 to come to my Time Warner connection. I recently thought that maybe it was my Ubee ddw365 because it had no mention of IPv6 in the web interface.

I finally went and swapped at my local office in Newark Ohio and they gave me an Arris DG860 to try. They were not able to tell me if IPv6 was available in the area yet or not. They weren't sure what it was, actually.

Is there a way to get an official answer as to if IPv6 is available in my area or not? I do know that the town that I moved from (Zanesville Ohio) has it now that I've moved from there Smiley Happy If not, is there even a rough idea of when? It's better than the reaction of "What is IPv6?". Does the modem have to be in bridged mode? Before I changed it to bridged mode, the web interface had blank values for it's IPv6 address.

Thank you

12 REPLIES
Seasoned Contributor

Re: IPv6 in Newark, Ohio?

IPv6 is supposed to be almost universal in the legacy TWC footprint.  The standard test is to connect a computer directly to the modem and try to get an address via DHCPv6.  Modern versions of Windows will try to do this automatically.  On other systems you might have to enable IPv6.

If you don't get an address you should sniff the interface for IPv6 traffic.  If you do get an address your gateway device is probably misconfigured.

Expert

TWC does not have proper functioning IPv6 in most of Ohio/ Ky, WV, western PA. WHY DO YOU NEED IT?

Why did TWC give you that old piece of junk 860?  IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY MENTION OF IPv6 ANYWHERE IN IT'S SPEC SHEETS! They are throwing those and the SBG8560's in the trash here in northeast Ohio as they are not IPv6 capable!

The only device they have that work properly are Sb 6141's for modem only and the Technicolor 87xx modem/ router combo's.  or a  dg 1670

If you're using your own router, get a 6141 from them.

If you want them to supply an all in one,  IT WILL NOT WORK FOR LONG, as they will change the router settings back to default. you got it to work with.

Seasoned Contributor

rrittenhouse wrote:

they gave me an Arris DG860

I'm sorry, I tend not to pay attention to the models posted because I assume if you want IPv6 you'll make sure you have a modem/router that supports IPv6.  See lease-or-buy-modem.html or download twc-compatible-modems.pdf.

If they don't offer one on the list (e.g. DG860) you'll have to check for IPv6 capability yourself.  If the local office can't help you send a private message to support address here on the forum.

Expert

That TWC office might be one of the bought out systems, Like WOW, Apparently they have no clue what IPv6 is or what modems they should be giving out.

The only IPv6 functioning modem only/ no router they should have are SB6141 modems, I wouldn't settle for a SB6120/21 or ubee

supposedly a SBG 6580 Version 2 is IPv6 capable in a modem router combo and of course, dg 1670 and TV 8715's are as well.

being on top of the Columbus RDC, you might have better luck with ipv4/ipv6 speed issues than we do up here in Cleveland.

The 2 paths are routed differently with lots of latency/ jitter on IPv6 resulting in timeouts and internal sync stability issues in devices when both are in use, the only solution is to turn off IPv6

If you buy a modem, get a 6183/6190 as the 6141's are going to be an issue when they bump your system to over 16 channels and the 6141's can't handle that bandsplit. The 6121's can only handle 6 channels and shouldn't be relied on anywhere for speeds over the 3 meg economy tier, lol.

Observer

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, they didn't know anything about it. I traded the modem on a whim to hope the other one would have something more with IPv6. That said, the new one (DG860) has IPv6 sections in the WAN and LAN interfaces. It was set to pull an IPv6 address from the looks of it but there was nothing. I saw in other areas on the web that it did support IPv6, so that was more of a plus for me than the Ubee was.

Yeah, I need to just buy one anyhow. I may just go to the big box store tomorrow and grab the Arris 6183 for $89. I guess I've just been waiting to find the right modem. That said, the cable company here used to apparently be Adelphia cable and they seem to always be behind of the features that my old city used to have just 25 minutes east of here.

Also, i'm in the networking field and want to learn and experiment with IPv6. It doesn't help that I was in a class all week where we kept talking about it peaking my interest yet again. I'll have to try the Arris 6183 soon. It'll eventually pay for itself with modem rentals being 10/month.

Thanks for the responses.

Observer

I will try this again with the new modem. If I have no luck, I'll probably try and purchase an Arris 6183. Thanks for the response!
Expert

Adelphia here as well. TWC got rid of all their employees and at least half the offices.

I wonder if there's 2 versions of the 860, the latter supporting IPv6. Motorola literature is scetchy as they were bought out a couple times., Arris doesn't have the support.

Observer

After switching it over to bridged mode, I am unable to login to the web interface. I'm going to reset it and make sure I didn't fat-finger anything. Can't swing the new modem right now but I'll get the Arris 6183 at least when I do. We only have speeds up to 50Mbps right now and I don't see it going much higher anytime soon. DSL goes up to 100Mbps here but the cutoff is a road over from my house. Haaa.

Observer

Sorry to keep bringing this thread back up but I just saw one of the sticky threads. http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/IPv6/Approved-Modem-List/td-p/103915

Is that an old message about the 6183 not supporting IPv6 "currently" which was a while ago. Just checking lol

Thanks

Also, the version on the bottom of my 860 says DG860A if that helps.