Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

Did the 3-4 weeks turn into 3-4 months for the possible fix?

Participant

There doesn't seem to be any indication from Spectrum that the range is now any better than 3 months to never.

I have a SB6183 and am able to get IPV6 but it's only through my router. There's a feature in advanced settings for my Netgear router that says IPV6 and enabled it. It's a 6to4 tunnel conversion instead of an IPV6 native address. I'm thinking that Arris isnt going to make an interface to manage IPV6 so it's done through the router, at least in my case. 

Rookie

bodosom wrote:

Ben64 wrote:

bodosom wrote:

Ben64 wrote:

This has been a problem for years, had numerous techs come out, nobody ever believed me, and nobody knows anything about it. It's extremely frustrating.

You've posted in the wrong thread.  This has been a problem since early 2016.

Sorry no, the ipv6 problem has been around for a long time. Just recently did they actually do something (disabled ipv6)

The SB-6183 only been generally available since late 2014 so "years" and "a long time" is overstating the facts. How long have you had your 6183? Without knowing the problems that resulted in "numerous techs come out" it's not possible to know if you were seeing the TCP option problem which is uncommon because it doesn't effect MSWindows.

In any case a close reading of this thread shows it's really about TWC disabling IPv6 (without notice) on the 6183.

2014 + years = 2016. The problem that resulted in techs coming out was the fact that the modem was dropping somewhere in the neighborhood of half of all ipv6 tcp packets. Since this is the best thread involving ipv6 and the only fix - a new firmware, I decided to throw my name on the pile of people affected by this. I'm not sure why you're antagonistic towards me when we share a common goal.

Seasoned Contributor

Ben64 wrote:

2014 + years = 2016. The problem that resulted in techs coming out was the fact that the modem was dropping somewhere in the neighborhood of half of all ipv6 tcp packets. Since this is the best thread involving ipv6 and the only fix - a new firmware, I decided to throw my name on the pile of people affected by this. I'm not sure why you're antagonistic towards me when we share a common goal.

Two reasons:

1) I knew you were going to "move the goalpost" and say that being out for more than one year but less than two was years.

2) The real problem is TWC disabling IPv6 in January so the problem discussed here has been around for months not years.

Conflating whatever issues you might have or have had just confuses this issue.

Do you even own a SB-6183?  If so for how long?

Community Manager

Hi everyone.  I understand the collective frustration here regarding this issue, especially given that our estimates around a time for resolution have come and gone.  The latest info that I have is that we hope to begin pushing the updated firmware out by the end of this month. 

Thanks again for your patience.

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Seasoned Contributor

charliejuliet wrote:

I have a SB6183 and am able to get IPV6 but it's only through my router.... I'm thinking that Arris isnt going to make an interface to manage IPV6 so it's done through the router, at least in my case. 

This is a different issue.  These devices (SB cable modems) act almost like a media conversion bridge so there's no management involved.  IPv6 or IPv4 or filtering or routing or anything else you might expect to find in a home gateway.

I say almost because:

1) They do do some non-bridgelike things to enable the status web interface.

2) The SB-6183 is rewriting IP packets incorrectly which is what this thread, this problem is all about and what the first OSPREY release fixes.

We're wainting on a second fix for the generic malicious access problem and the final firmware may have a new name or just a revision number update.

Participant

TWC-PhilB wrote:

Hi everyone.  I understand the collective frustration here regarding this issue, especially given that our estimates around a time for resolution have come and gone.  The latest info that I have is that we hope to begin pushing the updated firmware out by the end of this month. 

Thanks again for your patience.

Thanks for the update, @TWC-PhilB. Hopefully this proves to be the case..

Newcomer

Was about to buy this modem until i saw this thread...any suggestions?

Should i buy it now since update is coming or whats a comparable and similarly priced modem that will give.me.300 mbps on time warner?
Seasoned Contributor

Mivezaj02 wrote:
Was about to buy this modem until i saw this thread...any suggestions?

Should i buy it now since update is coming or whats a comparable and similarly priced modem that will give.me.300 mbps on time warner?

Any 300Mb modem on this page will work: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html.  There are 11 listed.  The Netgear CM500, the Zoom/Motorola MB7420 and the Zoom 5370 are about the same price