Newcomer

Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

This IPv6 problem with the SB6183 modem has been very frustrating.  I can very much relate to the experiences expressed by others in this forum.  It is a complete waste of time trying to talk with anyone at Tier 1 TWC support  about this problem because you will either be told that you don't need IPv6 or that TWC is providing an IPv6 address and if you cannot see it, the problem is with your modem.  Even though the last response is a true statement, it didn't explain why IPv6 was working flawless for months but now for no reason, my modem is at fault.  Finally, after spending hours (at least 72 hours) on the phone or on hold with TWC support trying to get an explanation to what ever happened to my IPv6 address, I got someone in Tier 3 support that spoke like he actually knew what IPv6 is.  He sent me to a couple of links that explained that a combination of changes that TWC made to the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) and a bug in the SB6183 firmware (SB6183-9.2.0.0-GA-03-29-NOSH) resulted in my lost of my IPv6 address. 

Of course that doesn't solve my IPv6 problem but it at least helped me to fully understand the actual cause.  Now that I know the cause, I can make a choice on a solution.

1. I can just wait for TWC to push the new firmware (D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.0.1-GA-01-NOSH) to the SB6183 modem that will fix the IPv6 problem.  The only cost is time and not knowing how long it is going to actually take for TWC to push the new firmware.
  2. I can purchase a newer SURFboard modem (SB6190) that does not have the IPv6 problem.  Approx. cost $150.00.
  3. I can lease a modem from TWC.  Approx. cost is $10/month.

I chose Option 2 because I niether have the patience or the confidence that TWC is going to resolve this matter in a timely manor.  This firmware has been available long enough that other ISPs have already pushed it out to their customers so I believe there is no good reason why TWC couldn't have done the same for its customers by now.  I did not choose Option 3 because I will not reward TWC by paying them another $10/month for a problem that they could have already resolved.  Now that I have the SB6190 modem installed, I not only have IPv6 again but my Internet speeds are stable in that I can now consistantly achieve my subscribed speeds which does provide a better Internet expereince compared to what I was seeing with the SB6183 modem.

Expert

100 vs 300 speed is not an IPv6 issue, it's either something wrong between your computer and the modem or an improperly provisioned modem.

If you're seeing 100/10, it's probably the modems provisioning.

If you're seeing 100/20, it's your cables, router or computer choking speeds to 100

, Bypass the router and see what you get using a cat 6 cable

TTL
Spectator

It appears there is discussion on this thread of exactly the issue I am having relating to TWC not yet providing the update to the SB 6183 (D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.0.1-GA-01-NOSH). TWC tier 3 actually had me call Arris to provision the modem, then they would call me back in 30 minutes. Understandably the Arris tech laughed and predicatbly the TWC tech NEVER called back. Arris is aware of the issue, they have issued a fix and it is in the hands of TWC. Where is it?

It only adds to the confusion that TWC is spreading about this issue when others post here that it is NOT the issue.

So, back to my question.

Phil when am I and all other SB6183 modem users getting a refund on the service differential since the probem was discoverd after the MAXX upgrade? 

Now that Charter has the reigns, time will tell. I am not buying another "TWC approved" modem or paying any extra to rent.

Seasoned Contributor

TTL wrote:

It only adds to the confusion that TWC is spreading about this issue when others post here that it is NOT the issue. ...

Phil when am I and all other SB6183 modem users getting a refund on the service differential since the probem was discoverd after the MAXX upgrade?

The 6183 IPv6 issue has nothing to do with your speed. If you're paying for 300/10, getting something else and can't get regular phone support to set the correct speed profile then as I said before start a new thread or PM Phil.  This assumes that nothing else is wrong.  If you are correctly provisioned and you can't troubleshoot the problem then someone will have to come and check the signal at the demarc.

And if you are waiting on IPv6 update then you'll have to keep waiting like everyone else.

Spectator

Update? @TWC-PhilB

Browser

Just now checked mine, still have the old software number as of today. Still no Osprey fix here. I thought this was tested and ready? What the hell is taking so long?

Seasoned Contributor

tommyr wrote:

Just now checked mine, still have the old software number as of today. Still no Osprey fix here. I thought this was tested and ready? What the hell is taking so long?

"We continue to wait for updated device firmware to clear internal testing" seems pretty clear.

Participant

Glad I found this thread--explains why my long working IPv6 is no longer working over SB6183/RT-AC68U. No, I'm not going to jump to a 6190--just bought the "Approved" 6183 last fall when 300/20 was rolled out here, replacing a 15 month old SB6140. Sure would be nice if TWC would get on with rolling out whatever it takes to solve this problem TWC created with my "Approved" modem that caused me to lose functionality that was working just fine before they changed something on their side.

Updates? @TWC-PhilB

Browser

And we are now starting into month 3 without IPv6 on the SB6183 and NO updates as to progress on certifying the new SB6183 firmware.  The number of TWC customers impacted by this problem have been described as "niche" and since IPv4 is not impacted, actual connectivity is argueably maintained, even though a number of IPv6 ONLY sites are now unreachable.  TWC while having the SB6183 as an approved modem, does NOT lease them raising the question of priorities.  Those of us that wanted 300/20 MAXX/IPv6 service without a half baked "combo" box, purchased the SB6183, as TWC, until recently, stated it did fully support IPv6.  IPv6 WORKED very well until TWC hosed up things on their side blindly assuming no impact to customer equipment.  

Patience is a currency and one that TWC is rapidly depleating.

Updates? @TWC-PhilB

Newcomer

I am a new TWC internet customer, who wasted days trying to get IPv6 working on a new SB6183.  After exhausting all the possibilities, i found my way here to discover TWC has blocked that feature for my modem.

I  would appreciate if TWC officially announced such things, so as not to needlessly inconvenience their customers.