N/A

Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

Registering my dissatisfaction too. Not to mention the fact that I had my time wasted by so called Tier 1, 2 *and* 3 support telling me that IPv6 was not disabled on my SB6183 when it clearly was.

Meanwhile over at the IETF... https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-sunset4-v4historic-00

The irony that one of TWC's own people is working towards an RFC to declare IPv4 historical, meanwhile their engineers are choosing to address issues by disabling IPv6 on CPEs is frankly delicious, and depressing.

Browser

As this "problem" was one that had been known and patched on "competing" cable systems for many months, TWC should have been working the issue during that time period rather than going into panic mode and disabling IPv6 for those of us that used IPv6 and had paid for what was the recommended ARRIS SB6183 modem supporting such.  We are now a full month past TWC waking up and still no fix.  I do acknowledge that the error log on my SB6183 has been virtually silent since IPv6 was disabled but at the same time, I was having NO issues actually using IPv6!  Would it not have been a more appropriate response to have dealt ONLY with those customers actually having issues rather than throwing out the baby with the bath water?

Expert

There are 2 known 6183 issues and thanks to someone deciding that stupid customers clicking on malicious links to repair slow connections would send code back to reset the modem, there are now 3 and i believe that one is the non existent security concern. It's not security related as none of the modems settings can be changed on the Lan side only a 5-10 second reset occurs. It's ludacriss that the 6121, 6141,6183 now have problems when they were all working fine back in December.

I worry about whatever other stuff ends up getting changed that will create new issues. .

Unknown if the 6190/92 will need updates either.

Reset all defaults

Note:
Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations. The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes. Please reference the cable modem User Guide for details on the power up sequence.

TWC ALREADY HAS THIS FUNCTION DISABLED! It requires more than clicking the button!

As for the restart modem button, it is the same as pulling the plug, but it allows devices to reset the modem without physically being there

Newcomer

6190 Works! Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

Replaced 6183 with 6190 today and problem is all fixed.  $160 at Amazon.

Browser

as it has been about 7 weeks since PhilB initially indicated that TWC had the ARRIS supplied fix to the SB 6183 IPv6 "issue" in house for testing and at that time the anticipated time to release was estimated at 3-4 weeks, is there ANY chance we could have an update?

Seasoned Contributor

drtidmore wrote:

as it has been about 7 weeks since PhilB initially indicated that TWC had the ARRIS supplied fix to the SB 6183 IPv6 "issue" in house for testing and at that time the anticipated time to release was estimated at 3-4 weeks, is there ANY chance we could have an update?

I'd suggest sending a message to Phil however I strongly suspect it doesn't matter what he says the fix will arrive when the fix arrives.  I started this thread to see if TWC could have a better process, not to get a specific date for any particular fix.

TTL
Spectator

Hi Phil,

I could use your assistance. I have an SB6183 and the real difficulty is that no one at Time Warner in my area knows this is an issue.There have been service techs here 4 times since November 2015.

Phone level 3 supervsors told me to contact Arris to have them change the modem not to recceive iPv6 and only iPv4 but when I called Arris support actually laughed. They don't provision modems, TWC does. 

I understand there is an expected software update that will be pushed out and Arris has confirmed this, but in the meantime how do I get TWC to credit me for the difference in price between the 100mbps service I am getting and the 300mbps service I have been billed. 

Until your supprt knows this issue they cant support customers. I have to show this thread to techs who are completely unaware of any issue. 

Your assistance is appreciated.

Seasoned Contributor

TTL wrote:

Hi Phil,

I could use your assistance. ...  how do I get TWC to credit me for the difference in price between the 100mbps service I am getting and the 300mbps service I have been billed. 

Until your supprt knows this issue they cant support customers. I have to show this thread to techs who are completely unaware of any issue. 

You've posted to the wrong thread.  The IPv6 problems with the SB6183 are not why you're not getting the speed you're paying for.  You can start in new thread in CONNECTIVITY or PM TWC-PhilB.

Rookie

Would love to have an updated ETA on the modem update.  Having to turn off IPv6 is causing grief with my work VPN amongst other sites.  We last saw any input from TWC on here 7 weeks ago with an approximate delivery of 3-4 weeks.  Not faulting TWC for making sure the update is solid, but a simple update on the progress would be greatly appreciated.

Observer

I also am waiting for this Arris firmware fix to be pushed out.  This disable config decision knocked off remote access to my IPv6 security camera setup.