Seasoned Contributor

Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

One of the nice things about the 6183 is the abliity to dump the boot configuration file.  mackey@dslreports did that and sometime after 9-January TWC pushed a config that blocks all IPv6.  It's seems to be a bold response to the IPv6 performance issues but ... go bold or go home.

However TWC should have announced it and failing that when you contact support and say "my 6183 stopped passing IPv6" the tier 3 staff should be able to explain what's going on more directly.  Saying wait for the update while leaving unsaid "and we'll also stop blocking IPv6 on your device when we push OSPREY" is not good customer service.

Community Manager

bodosom wrote:

One of the nice things about the 6183 is the abliity to dump the boot configuration file.  mackey@dslreports did that and sometime after 9-January TWC pushed a config that blocks all IPv6.  It's seems to be a bold response to the IPv6 performance issues but ... go bold or go home.

However TWC should have announced it and failing that when you contact support and say "my 6183 stopped passing IPv6" the tier 3 staff should be able to explain what's going on more directly.  Saying wait for the update while leaving unsaid "and we'll also stop blocking IPv6 on your device when we push OSPREY" is not good customer service.

Appreciate the feedback, and I'll be sure to pass it along. We continue to look at ways to improve our front-line communication when it comes to issues like IPv6, where frankly a very small subset of our customers are concerned about it.  We saw something similar when cableCARD's first came out-- a few of our customers were interested, and the challenge is keeping it top of mind for front-line agents who might only take a few calls out of several hundred calls a month regarding the issue. 

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Seasoned Contributor

TWC-PhilB wrote:
We saw something similar when cableCARD's first came out ...

We're getting a bit off-topic but cablecards are an excellent example (I have two).  There's a dedicated cablecard group and all the ones I've dealt with are tier 10 skill level.  Plus some of them own TiVos.

Spectator

@TWC-PhilB Simply turning off IPv6 to customers that were actively using it was the WRONG answer!  TWC needs to stop treating IPv6 like a red-headed step child. With IPv4 addresses allocations basically exhausted, and hosting provider starting to charge a premium for IPv4 addresses, we are going to start rapidly seeing IPv6-only pockets of the Internet. IPv6 traffic is now close to 10% of all traffic, up from about 5% beginning of 2015. So better to start building to support that NOW.  The term we use in our organization is "feature parity" - you shouldn't buy or deploy any hardware or software that doesn't equally support both protocols.  

Community Manager

mtg92117 wrote:

@TWC-PhilB Simply turning off IPv6 to customers that were actively using it was the WRONG answer!  TWC needs to stop treating IPv6 like a red-headed step child. With IPv4 addresses allocations basically exhausted, and hosting provider starting to charge a premium for IPv4 addresses, we are going to start rapidly seeing IPv6-only pockets of the Internet. IPv6 traffic is now close to 10% of all traffic, up from about 5% beginning of 2015. So better to start building to support that NOW.  The term we use in our organization is "feature parity" - you shouldn't buy or deploy any hardware or software that doesn't equally support both protocols.  

Our engineering team reviews comments on this board and I assure you, we understand the importance of supporting IPv6.  This was an issue with a bug that Arris identified in the firmware for the SB6183, and the decision was made to turn off IPv6 to that modem until the updated firmware can be pushed out.  We appreciate your patience, but we also understand your frustration.  I'll post updates here when I have them.  

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Spectator

@TWC-PhilB is there a timeframe you guys are working to? I, too, am eagerly awaiting this fix. Days? Weeks? Months?

Thanks.
Community Manager

Steve28 wrote:
@TWC-PhilB is there a timeframe you guys are working to? I, too, am eagerly awaiting this fix. Days? Weeks? Months?

Thanks.

I think it's safe to say weeks.  I haven't been able to get a firm date, but when I have a clearer picture I will post an update. 

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Rookie

Hey Phil

Have you heard any more on this?

Thanks

Newcomer

OK, I think I understand the problem.

You understand I am a little frustrated because this took me 4 weeks to find the answer, including a chat and a service call including a "level 3" guy that had heard something about a  firmware update, but said nothing about the config stopping IPV6 totally.  I conservatively estimate I have wasted at lease 3 TWC man hours trying to find a solution.

My recommendation:

When you turn off a service, let the customer know.

a. Remove 6183 from visible lists (including http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/internet/twc-ipv6-modems.pdf )

b. Announce the suspension in this forum and/or other official and unoffical places.

(I am now ordering a 6190.  Cost of new modem is MUCH less than your and my time to fix.)

Community Manager

There was a delay in recieving the updated firmware from Arris, as they were adding some additional security to address a vulnerability that was discovered earlier in the month.  I believe we have it now, but let me be sure-- it will need to go through internal testing on our end, please keep that in mind.

I understand this is a frustrating situation and I am hopeful it will be resolved soon.

Thanks

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager