Browser

Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

Ventura County in So. Cal. got it today

Participant

IPv6 now working on my SB6183.   New firmware downloaded and installed itself on 10/27 (I'm in Sherman Oaks, CA), but I was unaware of the change.   Just checked this morning, and see that I'm getting an external IPv6 address on my Asus RT-AC3200 router (stateless), and checking http://test-ipv6.com/,  shows that I am passing 10/10 tests. 

So all is now well, and my SB6183 seems to have IPv6 back and working again. 

BTW, I don't know what Spectrum has done, but even before they uploaded this new firmware, my connection has been terrific.  I'm on the 300/20 tier, and I am now getting solid 410/25 using virtually every test I can try (e.g., DSL Reports test, fast.com, speedtest.net, etc). 

Observer

Hmmm ... well this is kind of weird (/ annoying).  All had been working fine, and I had an IPV6 address assigned.  Now it's gone.  I've tried unplugging both my modem and my router, but no dice.  I set my router to auto-detect an IPv6, and it just says "detecting" forever.  Anyone have any idea what might have happened?  Is there a problem with TWC's IPv6 DHCP servers?  (I'm on TWC in NYC by the way.)

Participant

Try setting your router so that it obtains its DNS from Google's servers instead of TWC's.

You still set IPv6 to automatically obtain an IPv6 from your DNS servers (be sure your router is also set to "stateless" instead fo "stateful"), but you just don't use

Google's DNS  servers are at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.   

Works great for me. 

Observer

Hmmm ... I don't think this is a DNS issue, but rather a DHCP issue.  As far as I know, TWC's DNS servers are resolving ipv6 just fine.  They're just not assigning me an ipv6 using DHCP.

What's weird is that this was all working a couple of weeks ago after my modem got upgraded to the OSPREY firmware:  I was being assigned an ipV6, and had full ipv6 functionality.  It seems like something got disabled.  But I have no idea what it could be.

Seasoned Contributor

darose wrote:

What's weird is that this was all working a couple of weeks ago after my modem got upgraded to the OSPREY firmware:  I was being assigned an ipV6, and had full ipv6 functionality.  It seems like something got disabled.  But I have no idea what it could be.

It's time to use standard TWC IPv6 debugging.

Observer

Not sure what you mean.  Is there a page of debugging tips?  Or are you suggesting I need to call TWC support?

Thanks,

DR

Seasoned Contributor

Basic IPv6 checks have been mentioned here and in other threads. You need to decode RA, solicit and response requests. Contacting TWC is unlikely to be helpful.
Observer

Figured it out.  (Was an issue with the router on my end.)  All IPv6 goodness now!