Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

Is there any update on this?  I don't mean to be impaitient, but I am moving in about a week and would like to know if this modem is safe to buy and setup for my new TWC service.

I would much rather get this modem than a netgear if I can help it. I'm looking at a netgear only because the SB6183 seems to have issues at the moment.  I need to order one of them soon.

Thanks!

Seasoned Contributor

KayoticSully wrote:

... I am moving in about a week and would like to know if this modem is safe to buy and setup for my new TWC service.

I would much rather get this modem than a netgear if I can help it. ...

I don't believe there's any reason to hold out for a SB-6183 unless you want the spectrum analyzer.  Based on errors the radios in the Zoom 5370 and Netgear CM600 are better.  At my house they both have fewer errors than any of the SBs I've used including the 6190.

[ Edited ]

Oh really? I've been under the impression that the Arris SB models were some of the best?

I was looking at the CM500... is that as good as the CM600 you mentioned? I have read concerns about overheating with the netgear boxes.  Have you experienced warmer than comfortable operating temperatures with them?

You seem to have tested them all out, what (model or brand) would you recommend from a reliability and throughput standpoint (im looking at the 200/20 plan with TWC but may go up to 300/20 if I need it)? I don't care too much about tools like the spectrum analyzer. If it works and I can rely on it to get my the full speed I pay for, I am set.

Anything else I need to do I have ddwrt for.

Rookie

Motorola MB7420 is a very good cable modem.

Seasoned Contributor

KayoticSully wrote:

Oh really? I've been under the impression that the Arris SB models were some of the best?

... If it works and I can rely on it to get my the full speed I pay for, I am set.

The reasons to choose one device over another are ancillary things like:

1) How bright are the lights?  My CM is in the basement with the rest of my infrastructure so I don't care.

2) How hot does it run?  Ditto

3) Does it have a fan and is the fan noisy? Ditto.

4) Does have useful logging?

5) Is it easy to extract the useful logging?

6) Does it report total codewords as well as errors?

7) blah blah blah blah blah.

I'm not sure why people like SurfBoards.  It's just a brand -- not a complany. Although as I've mentioned elsewhere the GenInst team that did the designs prior to the Moto acquihire probably continued to have influence all the way to the current Arris team.

I have no experience with the CM500.

All the modems are *certified* to meet the same DOCSIS 3.0 standard.  High (or in my case non-zero) error counts may mean performance closer to the minimum specification or greater sensitivity to physical plant issues like ingres.  New designs will have newer RF sections but that may be to the benefit of the operator (Charter) not to the consumer (viz. Broadcoms "Full Capture" tuners).  I've never had an issue with any modem failing to deliver the speed I'm paying for (50/5 for now).

Seasoned Contributor

[ Edited ]

thexfile wrote:

Motorola MB7420 is a very good cable modem.

Which is made by Zoom Telephonics.

Zoom's "Motorola" site is here: motorolacable.com.

"MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. and are used under license."

I believe Motorola Trademark Holdings might be a Google entity but it's not Motorola Solutions which is the direct descendent of the old Motorola or Motorola Mobility (Lenovo via Google).

Thanks!  I may go with the MB7420.  Either that or the Zoom bodosom mentioned.  I havent had good experience with netgear in the past and if both Moto and Zoom are really manufactured by the same company, it probably does not matter.  I would pick the MB7420 since its a little newer and I would hope be more refined in the sense of Moto/Zoom learning from feedback.

It really probably does not matter at all.  But unless anyone has any other input on why not to go with the MB7420 or why Zoom may be better, Ill probably go with the Moto.

Thank you guys for your help!  I'm a software engineer and hardware, esp modems, are not my speciality. (I'm alright with routers oddly enough).  

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!

Seasoned Contributor

KayoticSully wrote:

Thanks!  I may go with the MB7420.  Either that or the Zoom bodosom mentioned. ....

It really probably does not matter at all.  But unless anyone has any other input on why not to go with the MB7420 or why Zoom may be better, Ill probably go with the Moto.

The 7420 is almost certainly a 5370 for $10 more to get the Moto logo  (at Amazon).  I suppose the FCC docs might provide some insight but the head of Zoom Telephonics said they licensed the name to charge more.

[ Edited ]

Oh look at that.  Yea both use a the Broadcom BCM33843D chipset.  The only difference I can find on their spec sheets is that the Moto claims an upstream frequency of 5 to 85MHz while the zoom claims 5 to 42 MHz.  And there is an even smaller discrepency on the download frequencies.  Even the format of the pdf's look the same, and much of the same wordage (unless all of that is industry standardized).

Zoom: http://www.zoomtel.com/graphics/datasheets/cable/5370-25415-spec.pdf

Moto: http://motorolacable.com/documents/MB7420-DataSheet-34915revB.pdf

Kinda funny.  So really you pay $10 extra for what I will call a more "consumer friendly" look of the box, and the Moto logo.  I just wonder if the web management is similar for both.  I have found a few places that say the Moto should have the spectrum analyzer that the Arris has.  But as I did say I dont care too much about that.

Update:

After looking at the specs more closely.  I went ahead and ordered the Zoom 5370. I will update this post again, once I move in and have TWC setup, with my experiences with the device.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Seasoned Contributor

any ? new news or update to the Arris SB6183 ipv6 firmware problem July 15 2016

hey so any new news to this very bad problem conserning ipv6 and charter twc spectrum ???

just askin cuz in a few weeks im be spending some cash on a brand new modem IF there aint any new good news on this sever problem with ipv6 and the sb6183

please any info is welcome thank you