Seasoned Contributor

Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

dick_w wrote:

So you have an SB6183 that is once again passing IPV6 traffic? Or are you saying the fact that Charter has a solution in hand but hasn't rolled it out to anybody is good enough for you?

Which part of "Can/will TWC troubleshoot problem 2 to completion? " are you having trouble with that makes you think rolling out a firmware update is the answer?

The answer to that question is ambiguous.  On the one hand they said "Get a new modem" and that does fix the problem so maybe the answer is yes.  On the other hand they had to  be "forced" to admit the real problem so maybe the answer is no.

But please note that the answer is YES or NO.  The answer is not that "the post-OSPREY firmware fixes the problem" and has finally been pushed.  Since I'm no longer using a 6183 the answer to my question still matters to me but what other people have decided is the answer to my question is now of only of "academic"  interest to me.

Participant

I opened a new thread per your request so as not to intrude on your thread. Sorry for troubling you. At least you have the solution you were seeking. Nobody else who has been posting in, or following, this thread, waiting for IPV6 to start working again over our SB6183s, is so fortunate.

Expert

As with the Maxx upgrade, Charter cut all TWC upgrade funding off including the modem QAM channel additions, Analog channel removals and yes, the IPv6 modem upgrade that is not a modem fault but buggy CMTS firmware they bought in December.

The 6183 is now an "unsupported" modem

That's the TWC fix...

You're going to see that "solution" with all the 4x4 modems like 6121's as well...

Seasoned Contributor

MsRaye wrote:

1) Charter cut all TWC upgrade funding off including ... IPv6 modem upgrade

2) that is not a modem fault but buggy CMTS firmware they bought in December.

3) The 6183 is now an "unsupported" modem

Do you have any external evidence to verify these three assertions?

If not I'll just assume you're still spreading misinformation.

Browser

Based on activity in my area of DFW, upgrades to the existing TWC cable plant HAVE NOT BEEN stopped.  I had an outage the other day and as I rarely loose connectivity on my MAXX 300/20 service, I called TWC.  The lady did some checking and came back that there were upgrades being done to support upcoming broadband speed enhancements.  Since I have personally had MAXX300 for over a year and TWC did all the work to support such over 18 months ago, the excuse seemed a bit odd.  

When service resumed, I noticed several things.  First, ALL 16 download channels had move up in frequency now starting at channel 19.  All 4 of the upload channels had done likewise now starting at channel 69.  The SNR had improved a solid 2dB as well.  

As TWC had rolled out MAXX 300 along with all of its associated changes to all digital TV signals and upgrades to the cable plant previously, the only reason for more changes is likely to in preparation for upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1, which is well underway in various cable vendors in the US!  I can easily see Spectrum stopping all further DOCSIS 3.0 based MAXX rollout as the move to DOCSIS 3.1 will offer vastly better efficiencies within the existing cable infrastructure AND end-user speeds in the lower gigabit range for both download and upload.   This upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 is way less painful for the cable operators as while it requires making room for the download side separate from DOCSIS 3.0, it can share the same upload frequencies and it is by and large a software upgrade in most cases.   End users ARE going to need new modems but the batch that was recently certified by CableLabs (the R&D arm of the cable industry) are compaticle with 32X8 DOCSIS 3.0 and the newer DOCSIS 3.1 which breaks away from simple aggregation of 6Mhz channels with a new modulation scheme.  

That said, I am going to sit tight with my SB6183 modem until DOCSIS 3.1 modems (ARRIS SB8200 for example) hit the retail shelves later this year.  I got a tad over 2 years use so far with my SB6183, so it more than paid for itself compared to renting from TWC (yes, I jumped to the SB6183 well before TWC actuallky rolled out MAXX in my area).  

Spectator

MsRaye--I recently purchased an SB6183 & was getting ready to install it but after reading these forums it looks like I should return it. It is still on the TWC 'Approved' list. If the list is not kept up to date how do we know which modems will work ?

Thanks.
Observer

If you want to have ipv6 for sure get a different modem. If you like surfboards the sb8190 would work. There is a now a not ipv6 compatible note on the twc approved modems webpage now for the sb1863, though it looks like they are slowly rolling out a firmware update that re enables it
Highlighted
Community Manager

All, the updated firmware for the SB6183 is in the process of being rolled out across our market areas.  All SB6183's will be updated in stages over the next several weeks.

*edit for clarity 

Thanks

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Observer

That's great news!  And thanks very much for updating everyone, Phil.

Spectator

Thank you TWC PhilB. Could you keep us updated on the firmware?