Highlighted
Seasoned Contributor

IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

[ Edited ]

In the "Lost IPv6 after modem swap (SB6183)" thread the OP marked it as solved based on TWC-PhilB's assertion that the OSPREY update from last October was going to be pushed by TWC in the late April/early May 2016 timeframe.

A careful reading of the reports suggest two problems to me:

1) The TCP option problem explored by Dan Drown that impairs IPv6 to some sites and

2) The complete failure of IPv6 traffic to transit the SB6183

The OSPREY update fixes the first problem.

Replacing a SB6183 fixes the second problem (the SB6141 works and the SB6190 is reported to work).

Can/will TWC troubleshoot problem 2 to completion?  I've seen two employees suggest that it would be simpler as well as more expedient to replace the CM if that solves the problem.  This seems like a poor strategy for the customer who has opted to buy a CM.  Getting a new modem each time a glitch appears doesn't seem cost-effective for me although I can appreciate that TWC might have a different opinion.

138 REPLIES
Expert

Re: IPv6 and the SB6183 -- fixed or not

Arris was replacing 6183's with 6190's until they "fixed" the issue.

Print out your current modems FW version info and the error log, If this get's fixed, you'll see a SW download from NM and then after a reset, will see a new FW version that hopefully "fixes" the problem which is partially the fault of TWC's CMTS firmware/ software for the 6183. This is different from a provisioning change.

There is also an issue with the IPv6 DNS timing out as it's not a unicast handled at your nearest data center which fouls ipv4 and ipv6 dual paths since the timing can be off 3 seconds along with uncorrected due to faulty coax issues usually high correcteds/ uncorrecteds on the home channel.

. Then there's the  /56 /64 addy  resolution issue.

So there's 4-6 issues affecting IPv6, all you can do is  Use the modem that works.

Spectator

Funny thing is I was running TWC''s native IPv6 with a SB6183 for about a year with zero problems. I was using OpenWRT router and a mix of Windows, Linux (x86-64 and arm), and Apple iOS products at various times. It wasn't until they started upgrading our local CMTS to support MAXX rollout and shifted us from 8 to 16 channels that TWC decided the 6183 had problems.  I think they may be having other problems, as those of us that had speeds bumped up to MAXX speeds suddenly had modems rebooted and reset to the older tier speeds (mine went from 200/20 back down to 30/5).  

Expert

What CMTS are you on, a Cadant or a Casa?

Seasoned Contributor

I asked a specific question.  I would appreciate it if MsRaye stopped hijacking the thread.

Expert

It's not hijacked, either turn off IPv6, replace the modem and wait until TWC either fixes the CMTS issue they have or approves and then sends new FW to the 6183's  .

Per TWC,  soonest resolution was in a month if there's no other problems... That will not fix the other IPv6 issues related to TWC's anycast vs single site routing issues and ongoing Maxx upgrade work which created the issue. Quit demanding a date, TWC is a year behind on a lot of promises they made.

Seasoned Contributor

MsRaye wrote:

It's not hijacked, either turn off IPv6, replace the modem and wait until TWC either fixes the CMTS issue they have or approves and then sends new FW to the 6183's  .

Per TWC,  soonest resolution was in a month if there's no other problems... That will not fix the other IPv6 issues related to TWC's anycast vs single site routing issues and ongoing Maxx upgrade work which created the issue. Quit demanding a date, TWC is a year behind on a lot of promises they made.

I asked a specific question, I didn't demand a date. Your off-topic responses are unrelated to my question -- hence you're hijacking my thread.  If you want to talk about issues you're having please start your own thread.  Please don't post in any threads I start.

Expert

Go over to the DSL reports private TWC forum and create a ticket

No one here will commit to a date.

This is incompatability between the CASA & Cadant CMTS servers and various CM manufacturers.

ALL "upgrades need to be tested"  there is NO guarantee what a CM MFG has come out with will work, TWC just got around to fixing the IPv6 DHCP renew and Time server issue that screwed up in Cadant servers when DST hit last month and it failed.

It required a CMTS fix not a CM FW fix

And yes, TWC does a crappy job supporting COAM eqt... They should offer leased modem only boxes not the trouble prone "advanced gateways" Then maybe they'd fix problems quickly...

Community Manager

MsRaye wrote:

Go over to the DSL reports private TWC forum and create a ticket

No one here will commit to a date.

I've said this several times before, but the team that manages the TWC private forum on DSL Reports is the same team that moderates this community. If customers wish to contact us privately here, they can PM @TWC_ForumsHelp

@bodosom This isssue is due to a bug that was discovered and confirmed by Arris to affect the currently deployed SB6183 firmware. I can try to get an update on when the updated firmware for the 6183 will be realeased.

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Participant

[ Edited ]

I just brought my SB6190 online and I can confirm that it does pull an IPv6 address, whereas my 6183 did not.  I'll be watching as far as latency with the 6190 is concerned.  The TWC FW on the 6190 is:  9.1.93K.