Newcomer

IPv6 Configuration for Residential Subscribers

I am in the process of setting up IPv6 on my router for the first time, but have been observing some strange behavior:

If I enable IPv6, within about 3 minutes, inbound traffic from Spectrum ceases.

This appears to be avoided if I turn off if I turn of route announcements.

How exactly is IPv6 setup for TWC residential customers?

Do I need to use DHCP6 to obtain an address? or does IPv6 autoconfiguration work?

Am I given a prefix or a single address?

If so, then do I need to set up IPv6-IPv6 NAT?

I'm using a Cisco ASA 5505.

Everyone's Tags (3)
5 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: IPv6 Configuration for Residential Subscribers

Just as with IPv4, you should set your LAN router to obtain its configuration settings from the WAN.  We don't know what modem you have now, but most ** will offer a (single) valid IPv6 address to the router.  Your router needs to provide the NAT.  The latest listing from Spectrum entitled  "Can I purchase my own internet cable modem? `and found on line at   https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html   includes notes about IPv6 compatibilty. 

** Some models of  COAM (Customer Owned And Maintained) modem equipment that TWC has evaluated ARE NOT IPv6 compatible.  Those models appearing on the approved list are so marked. 

Do you pay for TWC phone service? There are cases where TWC phone and IPv6 are not useable in the same modem. 

Experience of other IPv6 users indicates that routing a mixture of both IPv4 and IPv6 packets through the same modem connection may become unreliable.

Your Cisco security appliance from 2005 is far beyond end of life and no longer eligible for Cisco technical support.

N/A

Great thread. Helped a great deal. Smiley Happy

Seasoned Contributor

xirt wrote:

I am in the process of setting up IPv6 on my router for the first time, but have been observing some strange behavior:

If I enable IPv6, within about 3 minutes, inbound traffic from Spectrum ceases.

This appears to be avoided if I turn off if I turn of route announcements.

How exactly is IPv6 setup for TWC residential customers?

Do I need to use DHCP6 to obtain an address? or does IPv6 autoconfiguration work?

Am I given a prefix or a single address?

If so, then do I need to set up IPv6-IPv6 NAT?

I'm using a Cisco ASA 5505.

TWC uses DHCP6.  You'll get a /128 for your WAN interface and a /56 PD.  IPv6 is not intended for address translation and should be considered un-NAT-able.

Rookie

IPv6 is not intended for address translation and should be considered un-NAT-able.

You may be right about the intentions of the committees that designed IPv6, but they seem to have been operating under the assumption that the huge IPv6 address space would cause ISPs to delgate stable subnets.  As long as that is not the case, NAT will still be a thing.

# ip6tables -t nat -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
MASQUERADE  all      fd00:dcaf:bad::/48  !fd00:dcaf:bad::/48
Seasoned Contributor

pilcher wrote:

IPv6 is not intended for address translation and should be considered un-NAT-able.

You may be right about the intentions of the committees that designed IPv6, but they seem to have been operating under the assumption that the huge IPv6 address space would cause ISPs to delgate stable subnets.  As long as that is not the case, NAT will still be a thing

I'm not sure what you mean by "stable" but if you mean static then -- NAT is unrelated to static addresses whether IPv4 or IPv6.