N/A

IPV6 /DNS Server Issues (I Can't See My Websites)

Hi,

Okay, I've been with TW for almost a month, and just when I thought things were smoothing out, this comes up. Can't pull up my own websites, though they're visible elsewhere. Since I work on websites for a living, this is not good.
I'll read and see what others have experienced before calling into tech, only because it's friday and when I had these issues with AT&T, it took three hours for them to even admit that the problem was on their end.

I also find it interesting that TW totally prevents the customer from making use of DNS resolvers. I've tested this, and though TW comes across fairly fast, when tested against the other DNS servers its secondary DNS holds 4th place,  with its primary DNS at 7th place, in between Comcast and At&T.
I'm hoping to find a solution here, because the only thing worse than being on the phone for  3 hours with anyone, is having to talk with a tech who has been trained to resist escalation until they complete what they've been told to do. 

I really hate being asked by 1st or 2nd tier "techs"  to go thru steps after showing them the results of those same steps I troubleshooted (at least 10 times) prior to calling them.

Great. Now I'm getting worked up in anticipation of the inevitable.  It must be 5pm somewhere. I may have to drink before this call.

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: IPV6 /DNS Server Issues (I Can't See My Websites)

it does you no good to switch from TWC's 209.18.47.61/62 to any other DNS... They're all routed thru a bunch of TWC sites before hitting the transport providers.

as for IPv6 issues? Turn it off..

N/A

MsRaye wrote:

it does you no good to switch from TWC's 209.18.47.61/62 to any other DNS... They're all routed thru a bunch of TWC sites before hitting the transport providers.

We're well aware of both issues, as it's totally screwing up our relationship with a number of banks and other services, which is why we were looking here first. And for the record, many of us are not looking to turn off IPv6. In any case, we got around the issue, so once again, TW, your solutions to real consumer issues leave alot to be desired.  Either way, we got around it, so...

Expert

Sorry, those are the  only 2 solutions I know of.

IPv6 DNS resolution has horrible latency, there are reports of 30 seconds, which time out.

Only solution is to turn off IPv6 to get around it.  There is no local DNS servers, there is only one in Witchita, the route to it it extremely congested, There are IPv4 DNS at the central RDC's, maybe 5 or 6 in the US.  Columbus ohio serves 4 states...

It takes 3-15 seconds for a response...

TWC only has 3 intranet exit points in the US and using public dns does not help, you're still routed thru a dozen hops to get to your next door neighbor on Uverse...

Seasoned Contributor

mkoz wrote:

MsRaye wrote:

We're well aware of both issues, as it's totally screwing up our relationship with a number of banks and other services, which is why we were looking here first. And for the record, many of us are not looking to turn off IPv6. In any case, we got around the issue, so once again, TW, your solutions to real consumer issues leave alot to be desired.  Either way, we got around it, so...

MsRaye does not work for or represent TW.  Also nearly all the information regarding IPv6 posted by MsRaye here is wrong.   There's nothing wrong, at least in general, with TWC IPv6 service.  That said if having control over your DNS is critical to you then you should run your own server and resolvers.