Valued Participant

Did you buy an SB6183 BEFORE they changed the compatibility list? Get a refund!

[ Edited ]

Did you buy an Sb6183 BEFORE they changed the modem compatibility list?

Contact Time Warner Cable and ask for a refund:

Call 212-364-8300

and contact them via

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/our-company/leadership/support.html

You must have a reciept of when you bought the modem and proof that it was BEFORE they modified the compatibility list.

UPDATE:  Don't call/contact the presidents office like you are asking for a rebate coupon. You will have to explain you bought the modem, it was on the compatibilty list as being 100% compatible when you bough it and then TWC changed it.  

My experience is that they issue a monetary appology as a credit on your account once the problem is understood and you provide a reciept.

13 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Did you buy an SB6183 BEFORE they changed the compatibility list? Get a refund!

this is only an issue if you need to run IPv6 which doesn't work well on any other modems either due to TWC's horrible network routing differences between IPv4 to a local DNS and IPv6 thru a slow-longer route to one central DNS

Valued Participant

Re: Did you buy an SB6183 BEFORE they changed the compatibility list? Get a refund!

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

this is only an issue if you need to run IPv6 which doesn't work well on any other modems either due to TWC's horrible network routing differences between IPv4 to a local DNS and IPv6 thru a slow-longer route to one central DNS

It's not just that its a technicial issue...it's that its fraudulent practices to say a modem will work 100% with your company's service and then turn around and say it won't after you push out an update.

Customers who don't know any better aren't going to spend another $100+ on a modem...they are going to take the advice of Time Warner Cable which is to rent one of TWC modems....

A LARGE company like Time Warner Cable knows better than to (edited)  test a modem/firmware and tell customers the equipment will work 100%

SB6190 is also on the list and there are "RUMORS" I'll call them rumors because I don't have one to test with....that you can't go above 100Mbps download...

Time Warner Cable,  if you don't want to support 100 modems, and aren't 100% sure they all work on your service...don't put out a compatiblity list...simple as that.

Seasoned Contributor

i got the receipt an im calling cuz my xbox one needs ipv6 foreveything

Participant

MsRaye wrote:

…TWC's horrible network routing differences between IPv4 to a local DNS and IPv6 thru a slow-longer route to one central DNS 

I was using Google IPv6 DNS and, for my limited purposes, it was working fine. Until TWC broke IPv6 on my SB6183. With the number of IPv6 resolution requests they are servicing, one IPv6 DNS server for TWC is probably good enough for now. As you have pointed out numerous times, IPv6 is an exception case for most users' use, not anywhere near the rule. 99 out of 100 users will never notice if the route to one DNS server is a couple of hops longer than to another. At least those users on other modems suffering from this have IPv6.

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

JoeO wrote:

MsRaye wrote:

It's not just that its a technicial issue...it's that its fraudulent practices to say a modem will work 100% with your company's service and then turn around and say it won't after you push out an update.

Customers who don't know any better aren't going to spend another $100+ on a modem...they are going to take the advice of Time Warner Cable which is to rent one of TWC modems....

A LARGE company like Time Warner Cable knows better than to (edited) test a modem/firmware and tell customers the equipment will work 100%

SB6190 is also on the list and there are "RUMORS" I'll call them rumors because I don't have one to test with....that you can't go above 100Mbps download...

Time Warner Cable,  if you don't want to support 100 modems, and aren't 100% sure they all work on your service...don't put out a compatiblity list...simple as that.

Be sure you are demanding the refund and not requesting it.  This isn't something they easily gave to me but after the 2nd converation with corporate they gave me half of what I paid for my modem in the form of a credit on my account.

Seasoned Contributor

if some 1 from twc is here i need that credit to for the amount that it cost me to buy the sb6183

Expert

Contact arris and have them replace the modem with one with the newest firmware and see if it works IPv6 properly on TWC

Participant

Won't TWC just roll it back to firmware version they "approve"?

Expert

[ Edited ]

My understanding is that they Can't... When the new 6141's came out, it resulted in FW download failures... However those are HW version 8 modems and the previous version FW was for HW version 7... TWC never provided any HW ver 8 6141's

People would need to start comparing both rhe HW and FW versions of their modems.

The other thing you could try is to ship it to a friend on Comcast and see if it can get the latest firmware then put it on line on TWC.... or get rid of it and get a 6141 or 6190 instead.