Wireless range with TG1672G router

I have terrible wireless reception no more than 30 ft from the position of my router. My main TV with DVR is in this zone, and can't stream video content. Is there anything I can do? Will this modem support an external directional antenna? I already have a WiFi extender halfway.
6 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: Wireless range with TG1672G router

Not sure what your distance is, but setting the radio frequency modem to a fixed channel might help.  You would have to find out from TWC what channel your neighbors are using and set yours to something else.  good luck

Expert

you should only be using a wireless connection for your handheld devices. IT WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR CONTINUOUS VIDEO STREAMS. The 1672 as poorr range at wide bandwidth, SLOW IT DOWN to 20 megs if you can.

Established Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

you should only be using a wireless connection for your handheld devices. IT WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR CONTINUOUS VIDEO STREAMS. The 1672 has poor range at wide bandwidth, SLOW IT DOWN to 20 megs if you can.

And the extender located half way between the router+WiFi and DVR is making things worse, not better, by cutting the available internet data speed in half.  If possible, set the video streaming devices to operate only on 5 GHz, not on the 2.4 GHz band which has interference and channel-sharing issues.  You can turn off each band separately in that router+WiFi.

The user could have bought a WiFi+router with external antennas instead, such as the NETGEAR AC1750 Wireless Router R6400 or a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router.  External WiFi antennas may look 'ugly' to some folks, but they greatly improve signal quality, range, and performance when streaming video.

Helper

rbphinney wrote:
I have terrible wireless reception no more than 30 ft from the position of my router. My main TV with DVR is in this zone, and can't stream video content. Is there anything I can do? Will this modem support an external directional antenna? I already have a WiFi extender halfway.

Get router in the air as high as possible, change its direction, move it away from file cabinets, etc, If you have an android phone you can get wifi analyzer and check to see if  you have interferers in your building and manually set the channel to something else, if need be, as for video streaming I stream all day, all the time with no problem.

Oh, if all of your devices are modern, go into wireless advanced change 2.4 Ghz settings to N only on top... Greenfield on the bottom, and turn frame burst off 

Helper

MsRaye wrote:

you should only be using a wireless connection for your handheld devices. IT WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR CONTINUOUS VIDEO STREAMS. The 1672 as poorr range at wide bandwidth, SLOW IT DOWN to 20 megs if you can.

Wider bandwidth of a channel should not be a problem, unless there is interference

Spectrum Employee

MsRaye wrote:

So much incomplete info...

First of all "20 MHz", not "20 megs".

Second, The TG1672G has two WiFi broadcasts: 2.4 GHz as and 5.0 GHz...

2.4 GHz defaults on that model are 20 MHz wide, 802.11 b/g , and auto channel tuning.

Do not set 2.4 GHz to 40 MHz, that has the effect of causing tremendous adjacent interference with yourself and your neighbors and does indeed weaken the signal power (measured dBm).  It is recommended to find which channel is being used least (low (1), medium (6), or high (11)) and fine tune it by setting it to that specific frequency.  Change if needed, but I've found in real-world situations, especially MDUs (multi-dwelling units) that auto is a bad idea with how often the modem will change channel due to interference (see the modem's error log to see if this is happening).

5.0 GHz defaults on the model are 20 MHz wide, 802.11 n/ac , and auto channel tuning.

This particular model can only do 40 MHz wide 802.11ac at best (20 MHz channel + 20 MHz channel), it will not do 80 MHz wide.  To use the jargon, we call that an AWG2.0 gateway modem, if you want one that can do 80 MHz wide (necessary if wanting more than 100 Mbps PHY rates), then you would need a AWG3.0.   Keep in mind that not even all AWG3.0's do anywhere close to the theoretical lab-conditions max you see on spec sheets

(i.e.: a realistic expecation with 300 Mbps over 80 MHz 4-channel-bonded 802.11ac to an 802.11ac device with low-to-no co-channel utilization is going to be more like 190 to 200 Mbps)

Third, the antenna on the TG1672G is on the top edge, built onto the circuit board itself as just 3 strips of metal.  It is not a true dipole anntenna nor a directional antenna (it's a spherical shape basically).  Set the modem upright, and not under or behind furniture.  It was never intended for covering large houses (especially ones with brick fireplaces).  Kitchens are typically terrible on account of all the metal appliances and the stone or tile you find in many kitchens.  Basement back corners are also terrible, on account of the calcium in the concrete and minerals found in the hardwood floor supports.  Minor tips I know, but I'm dropping gems here with these comments, they can and often do make a significant difference.  I've seen way too many WiFi access points / routers being placed inside closets.  If you wouldn't do it with a lamp for regular light, then don't do it with a WiFi source.  And remember the TG1672G can cover most appartments, condos, duplexes, or single floor ranch-style homes just fine, but that can't be said for trying to cover a large, multi-floor home.  It depends on the environment.  My home has to have two broadcast sources, one upstairs and one in the basement, the basement feeding the upstairs source via ethernet, and I've got complete coverage.  But I'd never be able to do it with just one WiFi source... (tried that, and found out the hard way how much range extenders can suck).

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.