Rookie

Wifi Printer wont stay connected with TC 8715d / Technicolor Router

I was sent a new Techicolor (tc8715d) router from Spectrum and its not installed and working.

However, my wifi printer (brother MFC-J835DW) ,that has worked flawlessly in my network for years, now won't stay connected/ wakeup.   I cannot ping it from either access point (2.5 Mhz or 5Mhz).  Manually powering on  the printer does not resolve problem.

It appears the TC router disables the port/ip after a while.  (when printer goes to sleep) .  

Currently to print/scan I have to:

1) unplug printer

2) plug printer in.

3) print/scan.

4) print/scan

( after some period of time ~30mins)

5)Can't print.. 

6) Goto step 1.

I have verified port is "reserved ip" currently at 192.168.1.16.

Searching google I found advice to reserver iP  and said to set to .99-- which did not make much sense) and turn off wsp. didnt seem to help.  This was on a older version of the TC modem and I couldnt find most of these switchers.

Here is link to what I found..  http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Home-Networking/Connecting-to-printer-through-TWC-provided-mode...

Would appreaciate a way  wake up printer.

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Wifi Printer wont stay connected with TC 8715d / Technicolor Router

Use an ethernet connection.

Set DHCP lease for a day, not an hour

set DHCP start for 192.168.0.100

Set printers on static ip of 192.168.0.99 on down

Valued Participant

bbutler wrote:

I was sent a new Techicolor (tc8715d) router from Spectrum and its not installed and working.

However, my wifi printer (brother MFC-J835DW) ,that has worked flawlessly in my network for years, now won't stay connected/ wakeup.   I cannot ping it from either access point (2.5 Mhz or 5Mhz).  Manually powering on  the printer does not resolve problem.

It appears the TC router disables the port/ip after a while.  (when printer goes to sleep) .  

Currently to print/scan I have to:

1) unplug printer

2) plug printer in.

3) print/scan.

4) print/scan

( after some period of time ~30mins)

5)Can't print.. 

6) Goto step 1.

I have verified port is "reserved ip" currently at 192.168.1.16.

Searching google I found advice to reserver iP  and said to set to .99-- which did not make much sense) and turn off wsp. didnt seem to help.  This was on a older version of the TC modem and I couldnt find most of these switchers.

Here is link to what I found..  http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Home-Networking/Connecting-to-printer-through-TWC-provided-mode...

Would appreaciate a way  wake up printer.

Set a longer sleep activate time ?

To adjust your Brother machine's Sleep Mode setting, follow the steps listed below:

1. Press MENU.
  2. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display General Setup.
  3. Press General Setup.
  4. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display Sleep Mode.
  5. Press Sleep Mode.
  6. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display 1Min, 2Mins, 3Mins, 5Mins, 10Mins, 30Mins or 60Mins to choose the length of time the machine is idle before entering sleep mode. (This step might be skipped in some models.)
  7. Press the option you want to set.
  8. Press Stop/Exit.

Expert

the .99 makes sense, it's where you start working down with your static IP's as I recomended What doesn't make any sense is the all in ones starting DHCP at .2 and then putting static IP's in the DHCP range.

Rookie

This router doesnt seem to allow a DHCP Range. However I can set ANYIP as reserved.

My printer ip IS reserved.. Currently at x.x.x.16. Can someone explain why changing to .99 would matter?