Newcomer

Why does my 5G network show up intermittently?

I had Spectrum come over this weekend to diagnose some issues on my system. I was able to validate that my 5G and 2g are now working properly. The 5G is MUCH faster and I want to make sure I can connect to that network as a default, but I don't always see it. The technician could not explain why. Can someone tell me how I can find my 5G network all the time and ensure it is the default on my workstations, phone and ipad?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Why does my 5G network show up intermittently?

The 5 GHz band seems faster because it's less congested. It covers a smaller range than the 2.4 GHz band and has trouble traveling through obstacles like walls, but has a faster ceiling. You'll get the best results if you use the 5 GHz band for fixed objects like a smart tv, XBox/PS4, Roku, etc. that are within line-of-sight of the router and use 2.4 for your mobile devices or items in other rooms.

The actual real world wifi speeds you see on any device vary due to more factors than we can count, but lets start with this:

- Hard wire anything you can.

- On what specific devices are you seeing slower speeds or not seeing the 5 GHz band?

- Do these devices have the ability to connect to the 5GHz band? Older or cheaper devices (like my significant other's old laptop) may only connect to 2.4 GHz.

Newcomer

Saturday I saw 5G on my work laptop and not my home laptop (they sit next to each other). I watched the speed test and I know what the differences are between both.

My phone and iPad couldn't find 5G either. I am one room away from the router with the pcs, but when in the room with the router, the phone/ipad I still only see it intermittently. All equipment is relatively new... understanding that electronics go out of date within 6 months to a year. 

Expert

Are you talking  5G cellular or 5.8 gHz wireless thru your router?

DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO THEY ARE DIFFERENT!

Did you rename your routers SSID's so your devices can distinguish them from one another?

Many devices won't show a duplicate id. Leave the 2.4 as "sue" and rename the 5.8 "sue58"...

Next issue is that both the 2.4 and 5.8 gHz wireless channels SLOW DOWN TO THE WEAKEST DEVICE CONNECTED FOR ALL DEVICES.  get your router u[p and away from other desktop clutter to improve signal levels, set the 2.4 's scan off and lock it onto ch 3 or 8 if it finds interference on 1-6-11 and keeps scanning between them

Newcomer

the SSID is named differently one has 5G in it and the other one doesn't. 

My router is on the first floor away in the family room, my office is the room next door. Everything in the house is wireless. I haven't made the decision to go back to wired and re-wire the house (and obviously that is only for the laptops).

I work from home at least 1/2 time and I will be here for the next 5 weeks. My 5G isn't showing up on any device. I am the only person in the house and running 2 laptops and yes, my phone is active as well. 

How do I change scanning levels and I would like to make sure I have enough connections in the house as well. How do I do that? I am concerned with 5 people in the house we are maxing connections, but I still should see 5G with me being the only one online right now.

Sharer

suzanne wrote:

the SSID is named differently one has 5G in it and the other one doesn't. 

My router is on the first floor away in the family room, my office is the room next door. Everything in the house is wireless. I haven't made the decision to go back to wired and re-wire the house (and obviously that is only for the laptops).

I work from home at least 1/2 time and I will be here for the next 5 weeks. My 5G isn't showing up on any device. I am the only person in the house and running 2 laptops and yes, my phone is active as well. 

How do I change scanning levels and I would like to make sure I have enough connections in the house as well. How do I do that? I am concerned with 5 people in the house we are maxing connections, but I still should see 5G with me being the only one online right now.

Think of 5g like a light bulb.   If you are in a different room, that light bulb in the other room isn't going to cast much light in your room next door.

5.8 GHz has faster speeds, but you need line of sight from the router to the device to get reliable signal levels.  2.4 GHz is not as fast, but those wavelengths have an easier time penerating walls and travel a greater distance.

Are you using an all-in-one modem / router from the cable company?  Or have you purchased your own stand-alone router with nice, big external antennas?  You will have better luck with the latter.

I recommend you hard wire anything that you can, and use powerline adapters when necessary. 

Expert

Even in free air, 5gHz is awfull. I'm getting a 40 meg connection at 400' on 2.4 gHz and nothing at 150' on 5.8 gHz.  that is with routers with visible antennas. THe second (receiving) router is set up as a client repeater and repeats on 5.8gHz for that area

Established Sharer

Is your cable modem (gateway) one of the really crappy Spectrum-supplied models?  I ask because my mom has a Time Warner Cable supplied (now Spectrum) Arris TG1672G, and the 5G wireless signal out of that device is terrible.  It has internal, non-optimized, antennas for both the 2.4G and 5G wireless bands, and the drop-off point for both is poor.  I can use the 5G if I am in the same room as the TG1672G, sitting no more than 10 feet from it, though within 6 feet is better.  The 2.4G has better range, I can be 2 or 3 rooms away and still get a decent signal, good enough for most purposes.  Any wireless router with a decent external antenna works at least 10 times better.  Oh, and the TG1672G will frequently "shut down" either the 2.4G or 5G output (or both), and the only way I can get them back on is to power cycle the device (truly the finest Chinese engineering went into this toy).  The only "good news" regarding the "shut down" is that you can tell it's happened by watching the LEDs on the device -- the 2.4 and 5 LEDs should blink periodically (showing data activity), if either is on solid for more than 10 seconds, it's gone into la-la land.

Spectrum is mostly supplying only the "gateway" devices, because they want to nick you for the extra $5 per month to "supply you with Spectrum wireless service".  If this is the case for you, get a good wireless router with external antennas, call Spectrum and have them put your "gateway" into "basic" (cable modem only) mode, drop that $5 per month off your bill, and use your own wireless router for your wireless Ethernet.  You'll get better wireless coverage, and after you've covered the purchase price of your new router (should be less than 2 years unless you buy a top-end consumer router at retail), you'll save money as well.

Expert

not "basic" but needs to be put into "BRIDGED" mode and the wireless turned off to use an external router. And yes, the internal antenna devices are pretty bad other than the old AT&T 2wire dsl boxes. 

Valued Participant

Check your router's 5G protocol (i.e. AC, AC&N or N only). Make sure your devices set accordingly.