Rookie

Which router should I buy if I have Extreme Internet 30Mbps Download 5 Mbps Upload

I currently have a SB5101 modem which is giving me the speed I'm paying for with Extreme Internet (30 up 5 down). I want to purchase a wireless router to get this speed throughout my townhouse (3 story 1600 sqft).  

Which router should I buy? I see a lot of them now have crazy speed limits but isn't it true that those won't do me any good as I'm not paying for super fast internet? Any recommendations on a router that will give me the speed I'm paying for (nothing more) and has good range/reliability? Thank you.

2 REPLIES
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Which router should I buy if I have Extreme Internet 30Mbps Download 5 Mbps Upload

If you are investing for the longer-term, buy a wireless AC router with external anennas.  They'll provide the greatest coverage (provided you locate it near the center of your home) and will remain relevant for the longest period of time.

Remember, a router's speed just indicates the theoretical maximum through-put or speed limit of all traffic on the device.  So, even if you are only paying for 30Mbps down / 5 Mbps up, you can easily exceed that throughput if information is passing between devices on your network (and not necessarily over the internet).  An obsolete Wireless-G router has a maximum theoretical throughput of 54 Mbps, which exceeds the speed for which you are paying, but I cannot recommend that anyone buy into such obsolete technology.

Anything hard-wired to your router will be at the limit of the ethernet ports into which the patch cords are plugged and the cable itself. 

Established Sharer

Re: Which router should I buy if I have Extreme Internet 30Mbps Download 5 Mbps Upload

I don't know of many folks other than TWC's marketing staff who would call 30 Down/5 Up internet service Extreme. 

Do make sure that the router has WAN and LAN ports rated 1000 base T [Gigabit] ethernet.  Don't fall for the labels on the package advertising hundreds or thousands of Megabits over WiFi. Gigabit refers to the WIRED connections modem to router (WAN) and router to wired devices (LAN), using CAT-5e ethernet cables.

A reasonably up-to-date selection for the WiFi capability would be 802.11 AC with 1700 or 1900 Mbps throughput.  There are lots of units to pick from, so Google several make/models and read the user reviews before you buy.  Some brands have better reputations than others, and some have known issues with specific computer accessories  or hardware.