Observer

WIFY channel contention with a powerful neighbor and cannot change my wireless router's channel.

I have a Sagecom wireless router. Evidently it's channel is fixed at 6. As is my aforementioned neighbors evidently.  There seems to be no way to change this on my end. Normally I would move to another channel.  The Sagecom has no such option.  The only option I have now is to move within nosebleed range of my sagecom unit or use another wireless router. Where I came from they called them access points. As you guys master the wireless IP universe, I expect you will see more of this type of thing. Is there no way to change the 

Sagemcom F@st 5260 RF channel? I have several wireless access points and all allow this.

As this unit appears to be fixed on channel 6, Can be most annoying. Units in range of each other don't work well on overlaying channels ,least this one doesn't Ideas? Smiley Sad

15 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: WIFY channel contention with a powerful neighbor and cannot change my wireless router's channel

My parents have one of those (from Altice Optimum), and the channel can be changed.   Since every Tom, **bleep**, and Harry in their neighborhood has wireless, I had to put their router on Channel 3.   It can be done.

Are you using an all-in-one from Spectrum and paying the WiFi fee?

Their user's manual specifies that the channel can be changed:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/internet/ModemUserGuides/Sagemc...

Although I can see if you are using their device for Wifi, they may "manage" the router for you, and thus prevent you from changing some settings.

If you cannot change the channel, and you need to in order to get more reliable service, I recommend you forgo their all-in-one, and use your own router.  Have then disable the Wifi on the all-in-one and have it put in bridged mode.  This not only allows YOU to control your home network, but also removes the $5 per month "Wifi Fee" from your bill.

Helper

Re: WIFY channel contention with a powerful neighbor and cannot change my wireless router's channel

According to Spectrum's online manual for this router (it's not an all-in-one modem/router combo) you should be able to adjust the channels. Are you saying the user interface is locked out at 192.168.1.1?

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/configuring-wireless-security/

Observer

No there is no option to change the WIFI  operational RF channel.

Which is inconflict with my people next door.

Observer

Looking up and reading,  the sagecom manual. There does not appear to a setting for this.

Got the manual from www.sagemcom.com for the Sagemcom F@st 5260.  I can login to it

but no setting I can find for changeing wireless channels. I have several and all can do this.

Observer

Looks like it. Theres no setting for that like on other access points like on Cisco,Dlink etc.

No such knob visable Smiley Sad

Helper

Just for clarity sake...

You can log in to the router at 192.168.1.1 but there is no button that is labeled "WiFi 2.4GHz" or it's there but it's grayed out so you have no access to it?

Observer

Upon checking what I have, there is no basic menu or option for channel change. 

Observer

Looks like I have no choice in the matter. 

Helper

@rwilcherwrote:

Upon checking what I have, there is no basic menu or option for channel change. 

In that case, it sounds like you will have to call in to have Spectrum adjust the settings over the phone, or possibly over chat.

Or better yet, return the Sagemcom router, ditch the $5 wifi fee (if applicable), and use your own router that you would have full access to.