Spectator

WCB6200Q AC WiFi Extender with TC8717T Gateway (Cable Router/Gateway w/ 802.11AC)

Confused about MoCa and the WCB6200Q Wireless AC Extender.

I have CableService Internet (Coax) upstairs to a TC8717T Gateway with AC WiFi (provided by Cable Service), which is MoCa 2.0.  CableService Coax also goes to my Cable/DVR unit downstairs, with HDMI to my SmartTV. TheSmart TV also has ethernet and WiFi  (for Amazon & Netflix & other applications). Today I only use the WiFi: 

There is no CAT5/6 in the house, and I can't practically speaking add them.

I want two things:
1. Wired Ethernet backhaul to the TV, and
2. Extended WiFi downstairs and out on the patio. 

If I insert a Coax splitter and wire up the WCB6200 downstairs near the Cable/DVR box and run ethernet from the extender to the SmartTV, would this work? And for WiFi, if I use the same SSID and passwords from the Gateway wireless settings (or use the WPS sync, per the WCB6200Q user manual) will the extender wireless connect and work correctly (with coax cable as wired backhaul)? Reminder:  the extender is ActionTec and the Gateway is Te

e WiFi.chnicolor. Also the TC8717C has only one Coax connector.

I don't really want to spend the $170 just to hope it "might work".

6 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: WCB6200Q AC WiFi Extender with TC8717T Gateway (Cable Router/Gateway w/ 802.11AC)

MoCA is not enabled in leased Spectrum modem/routers.  You will need to either use your own router that allows MoCA settings while putting the leased unit in bridged mode or get a separate MoCA adapter to connect to the extender.

Spectator

Re: WCB6200Q AC WiFi Extender with TC8717T Gateway (Cable Router/Gateway w/ 802.11AC)

@reds91185Thank you!

I would be OK with adding a MoCa adapter or a second router. For discussion, say I add the MoCa adapter, I think I would have to add new physical cabling: Coax between the MoCa adapter (which will sit behind the TC8717T modem/router) and the MoCa WiFi Extender.  Is this right?

Established Sharer

With a MoCA adapter in line you should be able to connect the WCB6200Q to any available coax outlet. I think in your original post you said that there was a coax outlet near the area you want to place the extender, right? If so, just connect the coax to the extender, then use the ethernet to connect the extender to the smart tv.  Pretty sure that should work..

Expert

You must install a POE filter between the outside grounding block and the first splitter. It isolates your house from the neighbors and reflects moca back down all the lines.

Next issue is if you have a wholehouse dvr... It's already using moca and can't be interfered with

Your bewst bet is to but a real router ,one with visible antennas  to cover the whole house

Spectator

@MsRaye you are right: the DVR is an Arris DCX3600-M which is ALSO MoCa 2.0.

So...I have a CoAx splitter where TWC Cable/Internet comes in (downstairs):

Path 1 Goes to the DCX3600-M DVR which is connected to my downstairs TV via HDMI.

Path 2 Goes upstairs to the TC8717T Gateway (modem/router/WiFi 802.11AC)

The TC8717T supplies the house with wireless. And 2 of its 4 ethernet ports are used locally (a printer and a Sprint Airave Wireless voice/data signal booster). 

Both the DVR and Gateway are MoCa 2.0 equipped, and both have unused ethernet ports on them. Hmm I ought to be able (???) to plug the ethernet cable from the DVR to the TV and give it (wired-) MoCa Ethernet that way (???).  I tried, no ethernet connectivity.

Except...someone noted above that TWC *disables* the MoCa (???).

Is there a way to ReEnable MoCa on the TWC provided devices (DVR & Gateway)?

I do notice the DVR has a POE filter on the back. What if I moved it upstream: just before the first splitter (where TWC services come into the house, before the splitter)?

Highlighted
Established Sharer

The gateway and DVR are MoCA equipped by the manufacturer but Spectrum has it disabled. They will not enable it. You need a MoCA adapter and a POE filter to do what you are attempting to do.