Not applicable

Use my own modem and router.

I have the triple play package (Voice, Internet, Cable) So tomorrow they are coming out to install a new router/modem cus I upgraded to the 400mbps to play 4k movies and games. Before my internet was so slow using the TC8717T it couldnt even load a 4k movie and i was paying for 100mbps. I wanted to see if i could use my own router and modem, my dillema is the modem i want to use has no phone line connection. Can i still use it I dont care about the phone cus we all use cell phones in our apartment. The modem is an Arris SB6190 and the router i want to use is the Linksys WRT32XB.

5 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Use my own modem and router.

@renegonzalez92 wrote:

I have the triple play package (Voice, Internet, Cable) So tomorrow they are coming out to install a new router/modem cus I upgraded to the 400mbps to play 4k movies and games. Before my internet was so slow using the TC8717T it couldnt even load a 4k movie and i was paying for 100mbps. I wanted to see if i could use my own router and modem, my dillema is the modem i want to use has no phone line connection. Can i still use it I dont care about the phone cus we all use cell phones in our apartment. The modem is an Arris SB6190 and the router i want to use is the Linksys WRT32XB.

You need to use their modem for phone service.   If they give you a combo unit (modem / router) that also does phone, have them set the combo unit in bridge mode and then you should be able to use your own router.  This is actually preferred so that you manage your LAN and the cable company does not.  (This setup also eliminates the $5 per month home wi-fi fee.)

Even if you don't use it, you may have to accept the equipment in order for the billing system to give you the proper discounts.  It's also possible that they could provision your service so that you can use your existing modem (assuming it's supported for the speeds you are now subscribing to), their phone modem, and your router.  But I think for the newer high speeds above 100 Mbps, you are better off taking their equipment.

Highlighted
Helper

You can't use your own modem for voice but you can use separate modems for voice and data. The voice modem is set to bridge mode, a splitter is used to connect the data modem (also in bridge mode if a combo), then connect to your router.

Having said that...the connection speed likely was not the problem for you not being able to stream a 4k movie.  I think there are other problems. Are you trying to stream 4k over wifi or wired? If wifi you may have interference issues....especially since you live in an apartment. If wired, you likely have coax issues...loose connections, damaged cable, etc. If these are the problems then upgrading to 400 just be a band-aid.

Proven Sharer

As others have already said, Spectrum requires you to use their modem when you subscribe to their VoIP phone service.  If you had problems with 100 Mbps internet service there are probably signal quality problems with your cable  connection.  They will affect your new higher speed connection even more.

Observer

We have the triple play since that gave us the best price.  Like you, we don't use the phone service.   I am using my own modem (Arris SB6183).  I did have to take possesion of a Spectrum modem, but it is in a box under the bed.    

Spectrum Employee

Yep, currently using an SB6183 here as well. Even if I was not an employee I would be using owned not rental equipment. Never went with the rental router.

(I have a friend in B.C. Canada that cannot use cx-owned equipment even for Internet only. They won't allow any customer owned anything.)
My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.