Spectator

Updating and relocating router

I am updating and relocating (I think) my router. Right now I have my modem SB6141, a Linksys ea6900 and 24 port sw. all in one corner of the basement in my 2 story house. Considering, the wi-fi singal really is not that bad !! I would like to move the new  router ea9500 to the top of the basement stairs wicth would be very close to center of house . This should give me full bars any place in the house ??

My qustion is what would be better moving my modem with the router or just the router ? If I move both I would need to run 80 ft of rg/6 and 80 ft of cat 6. If I move only the router then 160ft of cat 6 there and back to my sw. The corner they are at now is where the cable sevice enters, thats kinda why I put modem there .  I have a vra-900b amp where it comes in the house FWD 52-1002 0db  RTN 5-42 0db. right now my signal is Downstream 12dbmv on all 8 channels with 37 and 38 db s/n Upstream 40 and 41 dbmv on the 4 channels. Would I be better with moving both or just one ? Also would a newer or difernt modem be of any help ? To a degree mony is not issue good working network is !!! BTW I only have basic service 24 dl and 2.5 ul runs all the tv's and puters in the house with no issues, most are hard wired with cat 6 just need wi-fi for hand held items . 

Thanks for any input and help 

6 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Updating and relocating router

A long run of ethernet cable is usually better than a long run of coax. You're better off leaving the modem where it is and run a long cat 5e/6 to the router and back to the switch.  Replacing the modem won't really change things for your level of service. 

Why the amp? Are you internet only or are there splitters somewhere inline?

Spectator

I am kinda far from the road the house is fed from a 235ft rg-11 nearest amp on the road is another 200 ft away I was getting knocked off so tw checked and put in the amp they wanted to run a hard line into my house but underground pipe is only a 1 inch would not fit

Spectator

BTW before the amp was installed ul was 51 to 52dbmv thats what was knocking it out ?

I was only wondering if a different modem would still peforme well if the signal was a bit weaker if I did move the modem too ?

Expert

Run  ethernet and coax, your DS level is too high and could use a little loss

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

One option to consider:

Leave the modem where it is. Locate old wireless router / acquire second router. Connect you modem to this router. If the router is old, turn off the wireless radio, and only use its routing functions. This device will be your gateway and dhcp server.

Move second router to new location, using existing Ethernet cable to connect the two routers or the switch and this router. turn off routing function on the second router and use as a wireless access point.
Established Sharer

OR, if your existing ethernet or coaxial cables don't end up in the right places, you can use an Ethernet over Powerline adaptor.  (This is one of dstoffa's favorite fixes!) 

Whatever device you connect to at either end needs AC power anyhow.   Since there has to be be a power outlet (or extension cord) close by, this alternative saves you the cost and work of pulling any other cable.