Rookie

Unable to Port Forward uncommon ports

I've been trying to port forward ports (like 6398, for a custom program I wrote, and 9987, for a voice chat server for friends and myself, but despite opening every port on my router to the server machine and having firewall rules on that machine set for those specific ports, only common ports, like 53, 80 and 443 are accessible for incoming traffic. I spoke with a T3 tech on the phone today, and he couldn't figure out exactly why this wasn't working. My previous thoughts were that Spectrum was blocking ports, but he assured me that it's not something they can do, even at the T3 level. So, he told me to crowdsource the solution and post here. If anyone has had experience with this issue, could you please help out?

Thanks

EDIT:

Thought I'd include the hardware I'm using, in case that becomes relevant, and because they aren't Spectrum issue.

Modem: Netgear CM-1000

Router: Netgear Nighthawk X6 - (ALL PORTS FORWARDED)

Server: Windows Server 2012 - (Relevant Ports Forwarded, 80 and 443 accessible from outside, 21, 6398, and 9987 are among those that are not)

5 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Unable to Port Forward uncommon ports

Just to rule it out, are you testing from inside or outside your network? If from inside, you may be running into the NAT Loopback issue (or hairpinning).
Rookie

I am testing from outside, using portchecktool.com and a Linux VPS running nmap

@RAIST5150

Sharer

Have you been able to confirm within the router's GUI that the rules are indeed active?

For example, in my Asus router, there is a tab for port forwarding under system logs. That shows me the ports and IP's it is actively forwarding to--whether it is manually set rules or done through UPnP.
Rookie

Yes, the rules are active.

Newcomer

Have you made any progress on this issue yet?    I am dealing with the same issue, trying to open a port for a tcp listener.  With the listener running and all of the rules set, I check it with the online tools like you mentioned and it always shows closed.

I am using the,  Sagemcom RAC2V1S...  which happens to be the only one i can find in the provided list of routers that in the manual does not have a section for port forwarding.   I am more confused now knowing that you have the same problem with a completely different router.  Id appreciate any more info you have come across... Thanks.