Newcomer

Two Modems Question

Hi there-

We just had cable installed in our home and as part of the package it included home phone. We didn't care about that so we just installed the phone equipment behind the tv. One thing that I noticed yesterday is that is a ubee modem. It has ethernet ports in the back. I would love to hardwire my xbox one and apple tv if at all possible. The ethernet ports are dead on the back. I called time warner and they said they could make it live but that would require more leasing fees, even though I already have it in my home? I thought that was dumb but the first person I before being trasferred said it can be done on my end with some work arounds but she didn't know home people did it. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Two Modems Question

Nope, you need to run an ethernet cable to the data modem  or buy and install MOCA adapters provided you don't have a wholehouse dvr

. 2 modems = double the internetmonthly costs.

They don't want you taking it to the neighbors house for free internet, lol.

What is a shame is many new cable boxes have an ethernet and MOCA adapter built in but they too are unuseable  for data on TWC/ Spectrum

Newcomer

I am thinking maybe the past response may not be entirely on point with what you were asking... although I may be mistaken. However, in the chance I am correct, I am thinking what you heard may be possible pending your ability and experience with configuring networking equipment. I would say based on experience that if the ubee is activated to compliment the phone part of your triple play, it is connected to coax or the other Internet modem via ether net and the ports for everything beyond the phone are simply deactivated. You may be able to search for default logins to access the ubee via Web browser by entering it's IP address in as Web address and using the logins default to that device. ... if this is true, you will possibly be able to enable the ether net ports via the Web administration controls. My reasoning is based on the fact that if the phone port is functional than the ubee is connected to Internet considering it is a voip line .....
Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

If the phone port is functioning, then you aren't paying a monthly rental for that modem.  But you will pay if you want an internet connection added.  You do have the option of buying your own internet data modem and WiFi router instead.  Tampering with programming in the all-in-one is considered theft of cable service, not permitted or condoned on this forum.