Highlighted
Browser

Technicolor TC8717t Bridge Mode Setup?

I currently have a Technicolor TC8717t all-in-one. I live in a small condo and my network isn’t anything special. Just a regular home user. I just want to use the TC8717t for phone and have more control and less hassles with all-in-one.

I’m going to buy this TP-Link AC1350 Wireless Dual Band WiFi router: http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C59.html

A family member has this router, with phone service and she has an older two-story. The range and speeds are excellent throughout her home. I’m thinking for my purposes this one will do just fine, unless someone has a better recommendation at this price range.

What are the steps to properly put the TC8717t into bridged mode and do I connect the new router to the back of one of the four Ethernet ports? 

I’m a rookie with this stuff, so go easy. Thanks! :-)

10 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Technicolor TC8717t Bridge Mode Setup?

The best way to bridge the existing Technicolor all in one is to call and have them do it for you. This will ensure that you won't be charged the wifi fee (if you're on a Spectrum plan). Then connect the new router to port 1 on the Technicolor. 

I've heard great things about the Archer series routers. I don't use it myself but if I were to replace my existing Airport Extreme it would be at the top of the list. 

Browser

Thank you, reds91185. 

Browser

Just learned something here on forum, from a post by Karl.

I have to look at another Archer WiFi router, because this one doesn’t have a gigabit port. If I ever get 100 or more internet, it won’t connect any higher.
Established Sharer

scjr wrote:
Just learned something here on forum, from a post by Karl.

I have to look at another Archer WiFi router, because this one doesn’t have a gigabit port. If I ever get 100 or more internet, it won’t connect any higher.

Good point about the gigabit ports. The 1750 is the one I was thinking of. 

Established Sharer

You should be buying a wireless router with at least AC1900 wireless capability as well as the Gigabit ethernet ports.  Crank that up to something over AC3100 if you intend to operate more than ten total WiFi devices in your home or more than five video streaming connections. 

Browser

Thank you, Karl.

Is there something you would recommend, that’s a good value and won’t break the bank?

Any recommendations appreciated.
Established Sharer

Everybody has their own reasons for choosing a favorite router make and model.  If you ask five people here you'll get at least seven opinions and each one thinks they are the only right answer. 

Browser

I went with this one, Karl. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5091000.p?skuId=5091000

Seems to have some good reviews at Small Net Builder. Only two people in home and we aren’t real heavy users. Maybe have some company over now and then. Should grow with any future upgrades just fine. I was able to get 15% off that price, by recycling an old WiFi router that was packed away.  I’ll set it up either this weekend or next week.

I'll update the thread with how things went.

Thanks again everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Browser

What needs to be disabled, to properly bridge my all-in-one?

i saw a post that mentioned these needed to be disabled:

1. Enable Bridge Mode
2. Disable DHCP
3. Disable the wifi networks

In what order are these disabled?

Anything else? When I call tech support to bridge this Technicolor I want to make sure they disable everything, so it won’t interfere with my WiFi router. 

Thanks!