Rookie

Technicolor TC8717T MOCA disabled help

Spectrum/Charter/TWC was at my house today. Since we tested everything wireless and getting cable signals, I thought everything was fine. But after they left, I realize the moca light behind the modem was off. I have moca adapters that I use that worked fine with Verizon fios, so I knew something was off. I logged into the TC8717T admin, and the moca section has a red x, and is disabled. When I go to enable it, It doesn't seem to allow me to SAVE the configuration. 

Is there an easy fix here? Please advise, thank you. 

Everyone's Tags (4)
8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Technicolor TC8717T MOCA disabled help

moctodspectrum wrote:

Spectrum/Charter/TWC was at my house today. Since we tested everything wireless and getting cable signals, I thought everything was fine. But after they left, I realize the moca light behind the modem was off. I have moca adapters that I use that worked fine with Verizon fios, so I knew something was off. I logged into the TC8717T admin, and the moca section has a red x, and is disabled. When I go to enable it, It doesn't seem to allow me to SAVE the configuration. 

===========

I've never needed or used MOCA, but multiple discussions here over the years seem to show that TWC and now Spectrum don't allow or support MOCA.

Rookie

Fascinating....    Off to a terrible start with "Spectrum." 

1. Some guy signs me up from the front of my home and says first month's free. I have a bill right now for the first month, and billing says they've never heard of this promo. 

2. They unilaterally cancelled my installation appointment and sent me an Easy Connect Kit. Obviously, I didn't know what to do, so they had someone out and connected everything.

3. No moca support out the box like fios? Kidding me....  Tech support says I have to call manufacture to help enable Moca. Okay.... 

Established Sharer

As far as I know, the only use for MOCA under old TWC was for whole house DVR which Charter Spectrum does not support.

Helper

moctodspectrum wrote:

TWC not sure about Charter, always disables MOCA

on the cable modem, as other users commented they only

used MOCA for WH DVR, not as a network connection.

Expert

MOCA is disabled because most customers cannot install it properly. If you want moca, you need to buy the proper gear and do so at your own risk

Rookie

And Charter and TWC merged, so causing more confusion. Anyway, I'm up and running. I mistakenly thought you cannot have moca PERIOD.. since they disabled it.  But it turns out, all you need to do is put a moca adapter before the router. I have plenty of adapters that I used with fios. I just never had to put one next to the fios router because moca was built in. 

Observer

Can you explain you set up for moca please? Im trying to setup moca also. I have a POE filter already installed before first splitter at media box. there 2 bidirectional moca splitters in my network : 1 at media box (3way splitter) which feeds MB, FR and Bed2.
and 1 at MB 2way splitter, feeds ubee cable modem/router and hdvr set top box
Expert

SORRY....THIS IS A TWC LEASED MODEM AND IS INCAPABLE OF USING MOCA.  USE ONE OF YOUR EXTRA MOCA ADAPTERS AND BE SURE THERE'S A POE FILTER BETWEEN THE OUTSIDE GROUNDING BLOCK AND THE FIRST SPLITTER. THIS WILL NOT WORK IF YOU HAVE A WHDVR.