Rookie

Spectrum - PFSense - Firewall - Port 5300 - IP Spoof? Hacker? Spectrum breaking in?

Good Afternoon,

I noticed today that Spectrum IP's have slammed my firewall well over 50 times, with using UDP port 5300.

etc

Why?

4 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum - PFSense - Firewall - Port 5300 - IP Spoof? Hacker? Spectrum breaking in?

You didn't give anyone much information to work with.  It looks like your box is being interrogated from two different routers on different subnets [24.24.56  and 24.24.43].

Any possibility that you have Spectrum Phone service along with Spectrum internet?  

Is your area scheduled to be going through a digital service migration and channel lineup changes?

Rookie

Re: Spectrum - PFSense - Firewall - Port 5300 - IP Spoof? Hacker? Spectrum breaking in?

Karl,

I am out of the loop on this one, I will check with them later on tonight hopefully. Also, I know I only have the Internet and TV package.

Newcomer

I found this post/thread by doing a Google search.

I am seeing regular traffic sent from hosts on the 66.75.177.xx subnet of Spectrum's (Road Runner's) and the source UDP port is 5300.  The destination port is some high number, usually monotonically increasing.  The hosts on that subnet resolve to names like "sndhca-dns-cac-308.socal.rr.com" or "lsaica-dns-cac-311.socal.rr.com".  It's always "XXXXca-dns-cac-3NN.socal.rr.com".

Makes me think it is DNS related, but beyond that I have no idea.  Maybe they have a 'farm' of IP address harvesters on that subnet that do these Pings regularly to see if anything answers, and it will reap IP addresses if IPs do not respond to these probes.  I tried talking to a Spectrum rep and he claimed he couldn't talk to me because I owned my own modem.  I've never heard such a ridiculous excuse in my life.

Lead Moderator

Good morning @RiotNrrrd

The agent was not correct. We can, will and should be troubleshooting with you, customer owned modem or not.

With the caveat that the modem is on our list of approved modems. If you would like to 

contact our Social Media Customer Care team for support you can reach them at 

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

or
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums