Newcomer

Slow Speeds Xbox one Extreme Package

Hey Everyone have the extreme Package 300mbps But getting faster than that speeds at times by every other device besides the xbox one

Get 330 mbps on my macbook in the same room all wireless. 

Router is Model:TC8715D 

Getting max 44 mbps On the xbox one after changing the dns to google dns Before the dns change it was 13mbps 

I was told by my tech that The reason is time warner has caps on the router to limit the speeds. 

Has anyone found a work around for this Or will buying a new router be my only option? 

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Slow Speeds Xbox one Extreme Package

You need to use a wired connection... wireless is an issue . It was not designed for streaming video and you will not get that on your mac either.

TWC's speeds are only measured to their speedtest site at one of their 4 or 5 regional data centers, not in the real world.

TWC is not telling you the truth either

Speed is limited by what they pay the transport ISP's to get thu the backbone to non TWC servers. for a while they were pipelining speedtest traffic thru a priority path to display a speed not attainable to anything else

Newcomer

Ahh that would make perfect sense Running the wire would sitnk.

But after using googles name bench app I chnaged the dns to that got a whopping 73 mbps instead of the 40.

Crazy how much they limit it I pay for 300 get 275 on my mac but the xbox not even close. 

Expert

It's also possible the mac is sucking up all bandwidth, you need to set QOS restrictions on it to only use 50% of the total bandwidth.

Faster speeds mean next to nothing after 15-20 megs per device, you won't get anything downloaded to you faster than that and game playing becomes erratic as data comes in via random bursts rather than at a steady and stable stream.

"faster is not better"

Established Sharer

Are you sure the X-Box 1 is equipped for 300 Mbps wired??  It may be only 100 Mb., not listed on their web site.  The WiFi is shown as 802.11N.

Established Sharer

Parkerg wrote:

Hey Everyone have the extreme Package 300mbps But getting faster than that speeds at times by every other device besides the xbox one

Get 330 mbps on my macbook in the same room all wireless. 

Router is Model:TC8715D 

Getting max 44 mbps On the xbox one after changing the dns to google dns Before the dns change it was 13mbps 

I was told by my tech that The reason is time warner has caps on the router to limit the speeds. 

Has anyone found a work around for this Or will buying a new router be my only option? 

The TC8715D router that you rent from TWC has dual-band WiFi supporting 802.11 b/g/n on 2.4 GHz and 802.11 ac on 5 GHz.  Your Xbox and every  other wireless device has to match those specs for you to get faster data over WiFi.  Or you can [should] use a wired connection between the Xbox and router.  It only takes one G-only device on 2.4 GHz to slow down everything on that band to 54 Mbps.  On 5 GHz a  single non-AC device slows  all communications on that band to just 135 Mbps. 

TWC limits your router's DS and US data so you can't send data faster than the speeds you are paying them for and flood their network.  You wouldn't like the congestion if everyone was running 300 Mbps, and the network is not able to support that traffic demand.

Changing your DNS means your router has no list of addresses for routing traffic within TWC's transport network, since Google doesn't care about or see inside TWC's data pipes.  You are only getting an optimized route in the cloud, avoiding some previously discovered pinch points within various IXP's infrastructure. 

In summary, no router purchase will fix your DNS situation or your slow WiFi connection speed.