Browser

Several large usage spikes

I was looking at my internet usage details and one Sunday this month, 150 GB of braodband was used from midnight to 1 am.  There was no one in the house at that time.  This afternoon, 20 GB of broadband was used between 4 pm and 5 pm.  We were home, but neither of us was using any devices.  This is way out of line from any other time.  Any suggestions or recommendations?  Thank You.

6 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Several large usage spikes

Change your wireless password(s).

Logon to your router, and see which devices are connected to your LAN.

I see usage spikes in odd hours, but attribute them to software updates for my Rokus or some other legit device.

Advanced routers can block all devices except those you whitelist, which can be useful if someone indeed is stealing your internet.

Established Sharer

Another possibility:  Check to see if you have installed and enabled any cloud backup services such as Carbonite, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, iTunes, Instagram, Facebook, or any of a myriad of other cloud-based iOS or Android app packages that autosync files between your phones and your computer.  Most of those are smart enough to sense when your connection is idle, then they perform a full backup of your files.  20 Megapixel cameras can use up a LOT of storage, especially for HD videos, and therefore also network bandwidth during a sync or backup. 

Browser

I do not use any "cloud" storage or wireless backups.  I have a manual backup system and clone harddrives once a month.  Thanks.

Browser

My wireless router (EERO) shows me what is on the network and what has been on recently and there is nothing new.  It does not show how much data each device uses.  A 150GB data usage is way too much even if all my devices updated at one time.

Thanks

Established Sharer

You're on at least the 300Mbps download plan, correct?  Because if you are on a lower plan, it's simply not possible to download 150GB in an hour.

Browser

I am on a 200 Mbps plan.