Rookie
TresK3

Router/modem combo, or separate units?

We plan to replace our leased TWC modem with one that we buy, to save on lease fees.  We have both phone and internet service through Time-Warner (but not cable TV).  We have had issues with the wireless going down fairly frequently, requiring us to reboot the router.  The phone seems very stable - it's only our wifi. 

I'm thinking to replace both units at the same time (router and modem).  Would it be best to get a unit that has both (like the Motorola SBG 6580), or two separate units?  Will I get better range or stability, one way or the other?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

TIA

Please use plain text.
Rookie
cdjunc1

Re: Router/modem combo, or separate units?

I had problems with TWC in configuring the modem/router properly.  They got the modem to work but the router was disabled by TWC.  After many days and customer service calls, we got the router enabled and then 30 minutes afterward the modem stopped working.  The modem could not be activated online after that and was told it would be 4 days before a tech could come to my house.  I have a home office and cannot be with internet for four days.  I gave up and had them reactivate my leased modem.  I am now going to keep the units separate and, hopefully soon, purchase a modem only for my modem to avoid the rental fees. I already own a router that I can use, but had hoped to get rid of another "box" that clutters my desk.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
cdjunc1

Please use plain text.
Seasoned Contributor
Shryp

[ Edited ]

I would recomend separate items. Sure, it looks better to only have one box and requires less outlets, but if it breaks everything breaks. With separate items if you ever have a problem you can take one of them out of the equation when attempting to troubleshoot. Usually dedicate devices work a bit better than an "all in one" device anyway. I would also recomend looking for a router with external antennas. I have always heard you get better signal that way and it seems logical. Could just be wishful thinking though.

One other advantage to a separate router is third part firmware support on some of them.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
TresK3

Thanks everyone, for the thoughts and the link. 

Still not sure what we'll do, but if I buy separate units can anyone suggest a good router?  A good modem?

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
the1stSecond

Good Router:  Linksys; any router in the EA series.  The new AC technology is cool if you have the devices that would utilize it.  (I still run a Linksys E4200 with no problems).  A EA4500 is a solid recomend as you can find them for a decent price.

Good Modem:  Motorola SB6141.  This modem will future proof you for a good amount of time.

You can find good deals on both online.  Happy hunting!

Please use plain text.