Observer

Remote access

One more question ...

I allowed to my Motorola modem/router the remote access.

When I'm to my dad's home I can access to it but after 1 minute not more than 1 minute the Web GUI interface completly freeze (even if he access by VPN).

So I cant allow my dad to help me to better setting my modem.

Where am I wrong?

Tnx in advance.

mau----

9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Remote access

That function should be off to prevent direct hacker access.  you can still get in via a remote desktop though.

Observer

Tnx.

How desktop access works pls?

mau----

Expert

you give your dad access to your computer and he goes into 192.168.100.1 thru the remote desktop to access the modem

Expert

Wiki "remote desktop"

Observer

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your patient, but isnt what I need.

I'm very busy and we've very different Time Zone, so desktop solution doesnt fit for me.

You warned me isnt safe to allow remote access even if I'll change the default modem user/PW?

Tnx again.

mau----

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

You aren't allowed to change the modem password.  TWC must have 7 x 24 access in case their technical staff needs to reprogram it, update  it, or turn it off.  Fine print details are found in the terms and conditions for home internet service. 

If you are renting a modem, the network will automatically reset the access password and several other optional features back to TWCs defaults just a few minutes after you edit them, unless you happen to live in the NYC franchise area. 

if your router is capable of providing network log-in securitty, you CAN change the access passwords in your router.  You'll need to learn its capabilities from the router user manual or the manufacturer's help desk - each make and model works differently.

Observer

Tnx for your answer.

I'm not renting the modem, its my own modem.

Are the rules you comment valids also for owned modem?

mau----

Expert

yes, doesn't matter if you own it or not, the remote access is user disabled, First, most are set for tftp IPv6 access only. that only is available via TWC's CMTS connection and is not user accessable.

Time zone has nothing to do with a remote desktop. You are simply creating a remote screen and keyboard at a different location.

Expert

this is not the wifi/ wireless login and password that I believe you can change on a COAM modem router combo.