Highlighted
Rookie

New spectrum modem constantly timing out and removing wireless printer

Been with Time warner a long time. I have had my wireless printer connected thorough the time warner wireless modem for a couple of years just fine no problems.

NOW HOWEVER,, after receiving a new modem model from Time warner Spectrum the darn modem times out my wireless printer connection and they can't be found wirelessley in any manner or procedure from windows 7.

I have to drag the printer up from its resting place physically connect it to the computer and re install the driver , then go down stairs to push the stupid modem reset button just to get it to work, EVERY TIME I HAVE TO  USE THE PRINTER!  All thanks to Spectums wonderful new technology!

Is there any way to disable the device timeout on the new modem?

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: New spectrum modem constantly timing out and removing wireless printer

Use an ethernet cable and static ip properly set up .

You may get by with just the static ip...

set modems dhcp start for 192.168.x.100 put the printer at 192.168.x.99

Never use 192.168.x.2 to 192.168.x.10 for anything

x= 0 to 9

Established Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

Use an ethernet cable and static ip properly set up .

You may get by with just the static ip...

set modems dhcp start for 192.168.x.100 put the printer at 192.168.x.99

Never use 192.168.x.2 to 192.168.x.10 for anything

x= 0 to 9

This topic appears often since Spectrum started reprovisioning their rented site gateway devices and some customer-owned modems.  Since it is actually the printer that drops the connection,  I've begun calling it the "You snooze, you lose" design approach of network connections to low tier printing devices.  

Many of the economy wireless printers have neither an ethernet connection nor a 5 GHz WiFi radio.  I won't mention the worst specific offenders by name or initials.  Their manuals don't explain how to program a static IP address into the device.  In some cases you will be lucky to get a skinny setup manual on a CD or DVD from your dealer.  The experts who know how to do this for unsuspecting printer owners can earn themselves a good income, half an hour at a time.

Valued Participant

hp