Highlighted
Rookie

New brother 2740DW Printer and Ubee DVW32CB Modem/Router Troubleshoot

I have spent days trying to get my MacBook Pro (Sierra 10.12) to consistently recognize my new brother 2740DW printer.

If I reset everything, the printer will work for ONE job and next time I go to print the printer will be "offline" according to my MBPro.

I have tried many fixes but none work consistently.

Is it possible that a setting on the Ubee is either causing this, or could a setting be changed so that this problem is solved?

I notice that even though I set my network to 2.4, at some point it switchs to 5 and I think that is when the connection between the MBP and the printer is lost.

I am totally frustrated and about to return the printer and try an hP.  I can log in to the Ubee but I do not know enough on my own to change any of the settings. Please help.

Gerry

8 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: New brother 2740DW Printer and Ubee DVW32CB Modem/Router Troubleshoot

Hi gmats,

Ubee is a great modem, however one of the issues I've consistently run into was printers in the network, I believe this is a device issue, and that a different router would probably be the best bet for it. Either that, or hardline ethernet to the printer and connecting the printer physically and setting up the printer as a network printer instead of wifi printing.

I had to do that at home because my printer (HP as well) just would not communicate through the DVW32CB I have installed.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Rookie

Cxthulu, thank you for your suggestion.

Which modem/router would you suggest?

I see there is a list of approved ones, but how would I know which one would avoid this particular issue?  I don't mind at all buying my own.

Gerry

Spectrum Employee

[ Edited ]

So this can land 2-fold.

First, if you want to stick with an All in One device, while they are all of course "approved" devices, the Arris All in one gateways tend to be the best at talking between other devices and doing home networking tasks aside from just wifi-internet.

However, if you go with outside routers, I have heavy reccomendations for Netgear AC series routers and Asus routers. Both come in very highly recommended and have been critical in solving some really in depth networking issue's I have dealt with over the years. Plus, these tend to have much better software specifically geared towards dealing with networked devices like scanners, printers, faxes etc.

This Netgear AC1750 and This Asus AC1900 are two of some of the most highly recommended routers out there. The AC1750 from Netgear alone, on Amazon, has over 14,000 reviews with nearly 75% being 5 star reviews. It's been one of their best selling, and most stable routers, while still being EXTREMELY affordable at right around $109 brand new for several years.

So with that said, it's best if you go that route, to get a standalone modem instead of bridging a wifi network to your new router, so replacing it with one of the newer model cable modems is also good. If you are a Legacy TWC customer, buying your own modem will eliminate the $10/mo charge for the modem lease fee, and if you are a Spectrum customer, you can get a modem free of monthly rental charge. In either scenario, I recommend highly getting Arris's SB6183 Modem. This is one of the most stable, hard working and compatible devices I've seen in my 7 years working for Spectrum/TWC since the SB5100/5101U models.

So those are a few of my personal choices when it comes to networking. Of course, it's up to you as the customer to make a final decision but these are things I've seen do wonders for networks, aside from simple service issues.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Rookie

Wow! I put them into my Amazon cart!

Tomorrow I will call Spectrum and ask if I can switch out this Ubee for the Arris Modem (I don't know if they do that). If not, I will buy both and try out th Netgear with the Arris and see how it goes.

Networks in general are beyond my comprehension and reading the Ubee manual was like reading another language! I did have an Apple modem and that worked well for me until it died!

Thank  you again for your very informative posts.

Expert

Go into the router, set the DHCP start for 192.168.0.100

Set the DHCP lease for a day not an hour.

In the printer, set it to a static IP of 192.168.0.99

Preferably, use an ethernet connection.

If that ones wireless only, go into the routers wireless radio settings, turn off scan, lock it to ch 3 or 8.

All in one combo's are a pita, might not stay with the settings I mentioned, if not, buy a real router, put the ubee in bridged mode. 

Rookie

I want to thank you again for helping me solve this problem.

I exchanged that Ubee for  an Arris CM820 modem only.

Then I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Router.

Took 20 minutes to set everything up including the printer.

The printer works perfectly.  The router also enabled using AirPrint

so my iPhone and iPad also print without using the brother App.

I had same issues with my HP printer and Ubee router.  Apparently its the router.  HP told me to try to get a Netgear or Arris router from Spectrum.  They don't have the same issues.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Mslongbeach wrote:

I had same issues with my HP printer and Ubee router.  Apparently its the router.  HP told me to try to get a Netgear or Arris router from Spectrum.  They don't have the same issues.

yet twc techs keep pushing the Ubees off on customers claiming they're better than the Arris and Technicolor ones...

Printers need to be connected via ethernet and  on a static IP below the DHCP start.  DHCP lease must be set for a day not an hour. 

Some of the HP's have issues when on a 1000 base router port