Need to make a Netgear N300 Range Extender work with a Sagemcom router (provided by Spectrum)

I have a  Netgear N300 Range Extender that I want to work with the Sagemcom router provided by Spectrum. Can't get the Netgear unit to join network. Anyone know the secret?

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Need to make a Netgear N300 Range Extender work with a Sagemcom router (provided by Spectrum)

Get the proper, recomended Netgear router...

or run ethernet, or get a real router that covers the entire house.

Re: Need to make a Netgear N300 Range Extender work with a Sagemcom router (provided by Spectrum)

Do you know what the "proper, recommended router" is? Like I said, I'm using the one provided by Spectrum.

FYI: Online tech help couldn't help me. No WPS connection, even when units are connected with cord.

Expert

You don't connect them together, you run an ethernet cable from the extender to your computer to configure it.  It must be close to the working wifi router and might not work with a non Netgear router.... It can't have the same name as it and will cut the speed at least in half if not slower and can't use wep encryption either.

WPS will be flakey as well, these are a poor choice for poor coverage, best to buy a real router with visible antennas and put the all in one in bridged mode to make it a dumb modem.

Observer

Grab a powerline extender with Wifi, rather than the wifi extender.  Powerline extenders piggyback the ethernet over the lines in your house(possibly not if circuits are noisy or seperated). This is a good way to not have the slowdown that range extenders have, and save money by not wiring your house with ethernet.  And it simply connects to the router via a short ethernet cable.