Spectator

Need help troubleshooting basic MOCA device installation

Hello! I think I need some guidance to help me determine what I am doing incorrectly with my MOCA experiment in my new home. I feel like this should be fairly straightforward, but thus far I have had no success in getting network connectivity out of any secondary coaxial ports. All that I am attempting to do is to install one MOCA adapter on the same coaxial port as my cable modem and router, and then get a second adapter on another coaxial port downstairs. I only need internet connecvitity on the downstairs port so that I can connect a second computer. Here's the parts rundown:

- 1x Motorola Surfboard 6121 cable modem. This is my own equipment and has been provisioned by TWC.

- 1x Netgear N300 wireless router. Also my own equipment.

- 1x coaxial splitter which came with the Actiontec devices.

- 2x Actiontec Etnernet to Coaxial MOCA network adapters. I have checked to verify that I have gotten this installed correctly according to the documentation.

- 1x desktop PC downstairs.

According to everything which I have read about setting up this hardware, I should be able to disconnect the existing coaxial connection from the modem, connect the included splitter, send one of the coaxial lines to the first Actiontec device, and the other to the Surfboard modem. The Actiontec device has a passthrough which then connects to the set top DVR, and its ethernet port connects to the Netgear router (which is supposed to push data back through coaxial). I am seeing green lights for all 3 indicators (power, ethernet, coax) on the Actiontec device, and my TWC cable and wireless internet access is functioning properly on this floor. However, when I take the second Actiontec device downstairs and connect it to the coaxial port, I get 3 green lights but no network connectivity on the PC. Where do I need to check next...?

Thanks for any guidance. This seems like it shouldn't be complicated, so I am hoping that I've just missed something easy.

Everyone's Tags (1)
16 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Need help troubleshooting basic MOCA device installation

Where did you put the POE filter?

Where is the splitter for the upstairs downstars jacks and is it rated for 5-2100 mHz?

Why did you put a splitter at the modem? doesn't the actiontecs have loopthru jacks?

on the upstars one, the modem goes on the right jack and on the downstairs one, a terminator/load resistor on the right jack.

There must be a POE filter before the splitter that feeds these 2 rooms and the splitter be a 5-2000 mHz moca rated one

Highlighted
Helper

Make sure that any MOCA so called filters are NOT on the lines going to the moca devices, Moca filters should be at Point of entry , or input of splitter, they can be on an output leg if the device is Non Moca but should not be necessary w modern cable boxes.
Expert

jhf5 wrote:
Make sure that any MOCA so called filters are NOT on the lines going to the moca devices, Moca filters should be at Point of entry , or input of splitter, they can be on an output leg if the device is Non Moca but should not be necessary w modern cable boxes.

Didn't my drawing link show up?

Most modems are now marked 1gHz Low pass filter installed right on the back.

They don't need moca filters but twc is putting them on anyway.

Some advanced gateways have moca connectivity and can't have a moca filter on the F cable to work as it blocks 1gHz on up where Moca is carried.

There are also some special, "high reflectivity" moca system splitters that don't require the poe on the input however, they aren't understood by consumers and can get them into trouble if there isn't an additional poe on the drop side

Helper

Right, Yep it showoed up, just wanted to make sure he didnt put filter, (filter is bad name, should we call it MOCA blocker?) on MOCA legs.    =P

Spectator

Thank you so much for the responses! I've had the most awful time getting logged back in to respond to your posts. I do have a few follow-up questions, please.

- I do not currently have a MOCA filter. I was under the impression that the Surfboard 6121 had one built in, but I may have misunderstood something. Is this what I should be purchasing?

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VFMHQKXW2B...

- Regarding the splitter, I have used the one which came with the Actiontec equipment. I can take a photo of this if you'd like to see what this is.

- In the very helpful diagram, I see now that I need to have the filter in the circuit before the splitter. Is this something which needs to go on the hardware outside of my house? If so, should I attach the splitter to the subscriber line (bottom left of photo) before it reaches the multi-splitter? This appears to distribute coaxial throughout my home, but I have no idea which cable leads to which room.

Outdoor hardware

- To answer the question about where I put the splitter, I have another question which may help show why I am confused. In the living room where I have the first Actiontec MOCA adapter, there is already a splitter for Roadrunner cable and TWC DVR. I was thinking that I needed to put the splitter on the line for the Roadrunner cable (to modem) only. Am I also incorrect in thinking that I need this splitter at all?

Thanks so much for the guidance. This is all very new to me...

Established Sharer

I see a long barrel on one of the ports of your splitter, that may be a MOCA filter.  Take a good look at it and see if you can find any labelling on it.  If I'm following the input line properly (and I think I am), it's even in the right position.

Expert

I agree, something is after the grounding block and at the 4 way input.

, now, the question is why?

If TWC put it there it's becaause you have  a wholehouse DVR setup , and can't add moca on those coax cables.

What cable devices do you have?

Where do the 4 cables from the outside splitter go?

Also, do the actiontec boxes look like the ones I pictured with 2 ports?

Can you post a picture or exact model # of the actiontec splitter?

Spectator

A little more info, while I have a quick second to respond...

Here's the exact Actiontec device. It's an ECB2500C.

- I will have to go to the subscriber box on the outside of my house to try to get another photo of what is going on with the coaxial inside of it.

- My TWC hardware is only 1 DVR (in the living room where I am attempting to connect the first MOCA adapter), and 1 standard HD receiver. We originally had a second standard receiver down in the basement, but I returned it since it wasn't being used.

- I will also try to get a photo of the Actiontec splitter ASAP.

Thanks for the continued support. I hate to think that this may not work with my home after all...

Expert

Connect the 2 together with a single F coax cable and see if they work,

if so, then one get's a term resistor on the TV port where the's no dvr or modem., and the other get's the dvr or modem on the tv/stb port to use it's internal splitter.