Participant

Need bandwidth usage by app or target IP address

I see my total bandwidth usage by month/day/hour on the Spectrum/TWC web site.

Is there any way to get a breakdown of the MB usage by app or target IP address?

I use OpenDNS, and I can tell which site the traffic is going to by number of requests by day, but I can't tell how many MB of data is being transferred to/from there.

This looks like something that would best be done by software in a router logging the traffic, but I can't find any consumer-grade router that does this.

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Need bandwidth usage by app or target IP address

See if a DDWRT or open WRT router will

Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

Many newer Android and Apple Devices will do this natively for you, and will report them by navigating to your device's individual application usage screens. (Not going to post tutorial because it depends on your device, OS and model)

For PCs, there are a myriad of different computer programs that can do this for you as well, consult some of your popular security companies like McAfee or Avast! because they will offer monitoring services as part of their security packages sometimes.

Otherwise, alternative softwares can be included, as MsRaye suggested DDWRT is a good software for a router to be flashed with so that it will report back such statistics at the router's level.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Participant

Got myself a router whose stock firmware can do "app analysis" http://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1008717