Highlighted
Rookie

MoCA Network.

https://imgur.com/HVnLaF6

This is my current setup. There are wires CR1 (cable coming into the apartment from outside), LR1 (Unused coax cable for cable which i no longer have), and BR1 (cable for interenet connection to modem). There is a modem in the bedroom that is connected to a router and the signal isnt strong enough to penetrate the wall to the living room. I would like to put a modem in the livingroom and still have a wired connection in the bedroom for my PC. I cannot use powerline adapters because the outlet in the BR is not on the same circuit as in the LR.

Could I have the -1dB side of the coupler go to a MoCA modem in the LR and have a coax from the modem go to my existing modem (Arris model from Spectrum) and leave the -8dB side of the coupler vacant (it is used for TV/Cable which i do not use). What will I need to do this?

All cables are coaxial labelled "KX3906042 9900963 F6TSVV (ETL)us CATV 18 AWG". I do not know if these are RJ59 or RJ6. anyone know?

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: MoCA Network.

Should work, you put a 1 gHz POE filter on the "input" side of the 8 dB directional coupler, the moca adapter on the -8  tap ort and then back at the bedroom, the other moca adapter inline with the modem.

Be sure to put a 75 ohm terminator on the out port of the living room moca box.

8dB of coupler loss and rg59 should not be a problem as moca has quite a strong signal . The POE reflects all that energy back thru the  -8 dB directional coupler . It could have really poor response at 1200 mHz and will need to be replaced with a 1500 or 2500 mHz 2 way -3.5 dB splitter. 

Rookie

I made another diagram. Would this work? https://imgur.com/lYqIQxX

If I get a -3.5dB splitter and replace the coupler I can bypass the 75 ohm terminator correct?

Rookie

Okay so I was watching some videos on setup and I may be confused. I cannot run extra coaxial cables through the unit so I'll have to use what I have and some smaller (3 ft.) coaxial cables.

Would it work if I run the BR1 line to a splitter that splits to the arris modem and the MoCA adapter and then connect the adapter to the modem via ethernet? That way I can run just 1 long coax cable and 2 smaller ones to connect to the splitter, that way, the modem can operate as usual and the MoCa adapter can use the existing coaxial cable to send the MoCA signals.

Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Also, would replacing the BDC1008D coupler with a splitter and using LR1 to a modem work? 2 modems running on one TWC line without MoCA?

Expert

The LR moca adapter will have an empty "out" or modem F connector... It needs to have a 75 ohm terminating resistor on it. Some adapters come with 2 way splitters and terminators... What is important is the POE filter on the CR1 side of the splitter be it a moca rated one or a directional coupler. Moca adapters come with those as well. 

You can also run a dedicated piece of coax between 2 moca adapters, they don't need a connection to the outside cable.

You cannot use them on DirecTv or dish systems though.

Rookie

Ah. I think i understand. Thank you so much for your help MsRaye. I've been on these forums a number of times over the years and I always see you helping people out. Sincerely thank you for that.