Highlighted
Observer

Male RJ45 To Female "F" Adapters

[ Edited ]

I came over to Time Warner from AT&T U-Verse.  My UPS has Ethernet connections, for surge protection, rather than cable connections.  That was great for AT&T but not so much for Time Warner.  I really don't want to buy another UPS as there is nothing wrong with the one I currently have.  I was wondering if I would experience any  ill effects if I made up some male   RJ45 to Female "F" adapters to convert my Ethernet surge protection to cable surge protection.  

While I'm pretty good at networking, I'm not quite an expert yet,   Therefore  if there's something I don't know I'm not afraid to ask.  It would be nice if I could find some  adapters already made, but the only ones I have found are one piece plastic ones and their size would prevent being able to plug both of them into the UPS.   They're right on top of each other.   I thought I'd  better inquire  before I go through the time and trouble of homebrewing them. 

--- Unable To Find C:\COLDBEER.CAN. User Not Loaded!
5 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Male RJ45 To Female "F" Adapters

dwh367 wrote:

I came over to Time Warner from AT&T U-Verse.  My UPS has Ethernet connections, for surge protection, rather than cable connections.  That was great for AT&T but not so much for Time Warner.  I really don't want to buy another UPS as there is nothing wrong with the one I currently have.  I was wondering if I would experience any  ill effects if I made up some male   RJ45 to Female "F" adapters to convert my Ethernet surge protection to cable surge protection.  

While I'm pretty good at networking, I'm not quite an expert yet,   Therefore  if there's something I don't know I'm not afraid to ask.  It would be nice if I could find some  adapters already made, but the only ones I have found are one piece plastic ones and their size would prevent being able to plug both of them into the UPS.   They're right on top of each other.   I thought I'd  better inquire  before I go through the time and trouble of homebrewing them. 

How would you wire up a RJ-45 connector (sex does not matter) to a COAX cable?  You'd need some kind of translator, simply becuase RJ-45 is an 8-conductor connector, where COAX is two.

You would need to create some kind of smart device to convert the information on those 8 conductors over to two, then convert if back.  It would be a challenge, and probably an expensive one.

I'd simply get a new UPS, or some additional siurge protection for your cable drop outside of the ground block provided by TWC.   Maybe a power strip w/ COAX connections would suffice.  One that I have for my media center has three pairs of COAX connectors.

Established Sharer

Whether using a UPS or surge strips for coax, make sure you're using something high quality to reduce signal loss as much as possible. Cheap surge strips cause a lot of pixelation and dropped connections. As for ethernet to coax...MoCA adapters might work?

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

dstoffa wrote:

dwh367 wrote:

You would need to create some kind of smart device to convert the information on those 8 conductors over to two, then convert if back.  It would be a challenge, and probably an expensive one.

I'd simply get a new UPS, or some additional siurge protection for your cable drop outside of the ground block provided by TWC.   Maybe a power strip w/ COAX connections would suffice.  One that I have for my media center has three pairs of COAX connectors.

DON'T DO IT !!  You are far better off using just the TWC grounding block.  Other external "ground surge protectors" are almost always impemented using imcorrect cable grounding techniques.  They quickly become points of ingress that degrade coaxial cable network performance. 

If you tried to make your own 'adaptors', I would guess you would have only about 72 hours before TWC disconnected your service because you were causing high levels of internet and TV interference that affected your entire neighborhood.

The cable grounding block must be located within six feet of and connected directly to your electirc service ground, while the protector inside the UPS housing relies on using the third pin of the power cord, which may need over 100 feet of wire to get back to the true electric service ground in your home's circuit breaker box.  That length alone can induce surges of several thousand volts on the house grounding wires and into your modem from both the coax cable and modem power supply. 

Observer

[ Edited ]

Since the general consensus is not to try it then I'll forget about it.  I went out and did a continuity check and I have a good connection from the grounding block to the ground itself.  With that reassurance I'll leave things as they are.  I'm just paranoid because back in the 70's, when I was a kid, my parents had cable put it when it was first available.  About every other year they were having to replace their TV if we had a really bad electrical storm.  Someone finally suggested they call the cable company.  They had changed ownership since then and a tech had a look around,  He said the system had no ground at and installed one.  That ended the fried TV set during bad electrical storms.  I just installed an entirely new home network (modem, router, voip bridge, 4GB NAS, etc) and I didn't want it to go up in smoke because I didn't have the proper protections in place.  Thanks to everyone who provided their input!

--- Unable To Find C:\COLDBEER.CAN. User Not Loaded!
Established Sharer

I should have also stated that you can continue to use the 8-wire jack protection inside your UPS for the ethernet connection coming out of the modem.  You just needed to completely abandon the idea of building adaptors from ethernet RJ-45 to coaxial cable F connectors.  Do not ever mix or cross-connect those two wiring systems.  And thanks for bringing your question to the forum.  I'm sure your local area TWC home tech thanks you too!