Rookie

KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

Hi all, first post.  I have the Ultimate 300 internet package from TWC (now Spectrum I guess), and wanted to confirm that i have everything set up to maximize my speeds.  I own my router - NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 C7000.  I have a Roku 3 hardwired to the router, and have also run Cat6 to another room in the house where another Roku will be attached to it.  Since getting the service about a year ago, I have done all speed tests wirelessly on my phone and have maxed out at about 150 mbps, with a low of around 20 mbps.  I'm not too worried about WiFi speeds, as I don't really have any issues there.  I know those will fluctuate.

 

However, after running the ethernet upstairs, I did a speed test on my work computer to test the connection.  I pulled about 35 mbps.  Couple of questions, as this is my first time doing any internet wiring myself - is ethernet either on/off where if it works, that's the best it is, or can the quality of my connections within the connector impair the speeds?  Also, this computer must be connected to a VPN - does that effectively cap my available speed because everything has to go through the VPN servers (the computer has a 1 gig ethernet card)?  Finally, this morning I did a speed test on the hardwired Roku for the first time and got about 60 mbps at the highest.  Is this something indicative of my internet speed, or does the Roku 3's processor max it out at about those levels?  If that's all the Roku 3 can process, then I'm totally content.

 

Basically, I'm just trying to determine if there's a problem with my service or connections, or if I'm running into equipment issues.  At the end of the day, I plan on having two Roku's (Roku 3 and Roku Premium +) on the LAN and need to maintain 4K speeds.  But I'm paying for 300, so obviously I'd like to get as close to that as I can.  Thanks everyone.

14 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

[ Edited ]

Disconnect all equipment from your modem and hardwire one pc direct to it. 

 

Run a speedtest found at the address:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/speed-test.html

 

I would also recomend posting the signal levels from your modem internals (without reseting) 

just so we can be certain there are no issues from there. 

 

 

Please be aware although I am a Spectrum/TWC Employee, My posts are my own perspectives and understandings. Not Official Statements of my employer.
Expert

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages, don't reset it need to see real history.

 Next, test speed on acomputer not on a vpn.

 Is something running IPv6? if so turn it off

 

if still slow, copy and paste a CMD level tracert to google.com

 

Rookie

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

I will try and get a non-VPN computer on the network ASAP, but it might be a bit.  I don't know how to post the modem signal level and error log information - how do I get that?

Established Sharer

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

Expert

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

If you have any sort of signal issues, they will toally hose down your connection speed, especially if a VPN is involved.

 And as for checking speed thru a VPN, good luck as it must leave the TWC-RR intranet.

 TWC will not support any speed complaints even a mere 1 meg thru VPN's, you need to take that up with the VPN.

 

Established Sharer

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

If you have any sort of signal issues, they will toally hose down your connection speed, especially if a VPN is involved.

 And as for checking speed thru a VPN, good luck as it must leave the TWC-RR intranet.

 TWC will not support any speed complaints even a mere 1 meg thru VPN's, you need to take that up with the VPN.

 


As an internet video content provider, Roku should be able and happy to tell you what minimum continuous internet speeds are required to stream standard HD and 4K video through their devices, particularly if you plan to stream both simultaneously through 5 GHz WiFi connections. 

As MsRaye pointed out, the official TWC speedtest  running over a VPN will never reflect accurate transport speeds.  VPNs rely on having error-free data transport from end to end, so if your modem connection  has any interference or timing issues on either the US or DS channels, the VPN performance will quickly collapse.

Last, you didn't need CAT-6 cable for 1000 bT "Gigabit" wired connections.  CAT-5e supports 'Gig' just fine as long as you crimp the connectors on correctly.  Even when internet service is delivered into the home over fiber optic cable, most residences will not need 10 Gb wired connections which DO require properly installed CAT-6 premise cabling.

Boz
Sharer

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?


karlbeckman wrote:

MsRaye wrote:

If you have any sort of signal issues, they will toally hose down your connection speed, especially if a VPN is involved.

 And as for checking speed thru a VPN, good luck as it must leave the TWC-RR intranet.

 TWC will not support any speed complaints even a mere 1 meg thru VPN's, you need to take that up with the VPN.

 


As an internet video content provider, Roku should be able and happy to tell you what minimum continuous internet speeds are required to stream standard HD and 4K video through their devices, particularly if you plan to stream both simultaneously through 5 GHz WiFi connections. 

As MsRaye pointed out, the official TWC speedtest  running over a VPN will never show accurate speeds.  VPNs rely on having error-free data transport from end to end, so if your modem has any interference or timing issues on either the US or DS channels, the VPN performance will collapse.


Roku is not "an internet video content provider".

Established Sharer

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

[ Edited ]

Boz wrote:

karlbeckman wrote:

MsRaye wrote:

If you have any sort of signal issues, they will toally hose down your connection speed, especially if a VPN is involved.

 And as for checking speed thru a VPN, good luck as it must leave the TWC-RR intranet.

 TWC will not support any speed complaints even a mere 1 meg thru VPN's, you need to take that up with the VPN.

 


As an internet video content provider, Roku should be able and happy to tell you what minimum continuous internet speeds are required to stream standard HD and 4K video through their devices, particularly if you plan to stream both simultaneously through 5 GHz WiFi connections. 

As MsRaye pointed out, the official TWC speedtest  running over a VPN will never show accurate speeds.  VPNs rely on having error-free data transport from end to end, so if your modem has any interference or timing issues on either the US or DS channels, the VPN performance will collapse.


Roku is not "an internet video content provider".


Boz -

Thanks for the correction.  I was trying to convey the concept that if Roku selects the video encryption and compression algorithms that are used in the Roku system, they would have already calculated the bandwidth needed for transmitting "typical average" programming in both normal HD and 4K formats, as well as one or more of each coming from the same ethernet or WiFi connection.

If Roku isn't the proper owner of that information, it should not be too difficult to figure out who should have the needed details.  We do know that it's definitely NOT going to be TWC.

Established Sharer

Re: KC Area - 300 Ultimate Internet speeds?

[ Edited ]

One other thought to consider:  Did you run a sweep and integrity test on that CAT-6 cable after you installed it?  Gigabit requires all four pairs in the cable, while slower speeds use only the first 2 pairs.  One single wire not firmly crimped in place in the connector will limit your data speed to 100 Mbps.