Rookie

Installed new router on a leased Technicolor Modem

I've had multiple internet drop offs several times a day and assumed it was a combination of a few things 1) The old Netgear nighthawk firmware being bad 2) We've had issues since Time Warner Cable converted to Spectrum (so it seems) anyway my question is we replaced the router with a Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Mesh Kit and although the signal seemed to improve the drop offs increased so I called tech support AGAIN the last tech I spoke to said he could see our netgear router and I told him we replaced it, he asked me the model number of the new router and then told me he needed to remove the netgear router from the modem because the firewalls were "fighting" with each other. How does Spectrum have that much control over my personal router and routers firewall within a leased modem? Does this sound normal?
4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Installed new router on a leased Technicolor Modem

It's because the modem, I'll bet it's an all in one, is configured wrong. Turn off it's wireless radios and put it in bridhed mode turn off firewall etc. It needs to be a plain old stupid modem.  Connect it's port1 to the routers wan port.

Then put the new router back to default and autodetect wan settings.

But, i'll bet you're also having signal/ wan side issues that TWC/Spectrum refuse to acknowledge and fix.

Post both the signal and error logs, don't reset it, I need to see real history.

Rookie

MsRaye YES absolutely all issues you mentioned. It is a combination router which I've never understand why? They even upgraded my modem after the 100/10 upgrade with a combo modem. I never opt for TWC/Spectrum wifi and always have my own router. It is plugged into port 1 and the WAN on the router. But say the wifi is disabled on the modem. I guess I'm concerned about how they can remove my personal routers firewall and would the leased modems firewall interfere with my routers? Maybe I need to just get my own modem this is a bit concerning.  Unfortunately I can't access the log history because the Amplifi HD router does not have a web interface. 

Highlighted
Sharer

The Technicolor TC8717T have trouble staying in bridged mode. I've had it reboot after an outage and come up with bridged mode disabled. At least the wifi stays disabled and it plays nicely with my Netgear Nighthawk router.

Established Sharer

MD_4 wrote:

MsRaye YES absolutely all issues you mentioned. It is a combination router which I've never understand why? They even upgraded my modem after the 100/10 upgrade with a combo modem. I never opt for TWC/Spectrum wifi and always have my own router. It is plugged into port 1 and the WAN on the router. But say the wifi is disabled on the modem. I guess I'm concerned about how they can remove my personal routers firewall and would the leased modems firewall interfere with my routers? Maybe I need to just get my own modem this is a bit concerning.  Unfortunately I can't access the log history because the Amplifi HD router does not have a web interface. 

You are not going to ask or allowTWC/Spectrum to do anything inside of your router.  You tell the Spectrum tech to set their  rented Technicolor gateway into bridging mode - no NAT, DHCP, or firewall - and turn off both of its WiFi radios.  Then YOU are going to reprogram your Amplifi-HD router and your various WiFi devices back to the same settings which had worked for you when you connected through the previous rented modem+router combo.  We hope you kept good records of those settings!