I'm looking to buy a new cable modem

[ Edited ]

I'm looking to buy a new cable modem. What Modem do you all recommend?

7 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: I'm looking to buy a new cable modem

What are your needs? What speeds do you pay for and do you plan on upgrading anytime soon? Are you a gamer? 

Whatever you do get a separate modem and router, not an all in one.

Seasoned Contributor

I’d look into the latest Motorola/Arris lineup. Consider a combo modem/router if you’re not already using a separate modem and router. I like a lot of the new AC modem/routers because you can future proof yourself to some degree. One I particularly like is the ARRIS SURFBOARD SBG7580-AC. They can get pricey. If you don’t see a particular product on Spectrum’s list call them to find out if it’s compliant. Also look up TWC compliant modems which will lead you to a Spectrum page.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Achilles77 wrote:

I’d look into the latest Motorola/Arris lineup. Consider a combo modem/router if you’re not already using a separate modem and router. I like a lot of the new AC modem/routers because you can future proof yourself to some degree. One I particularly like is the ARRIS SURFBOARD SBG7580-AC. They can get pricey. If you don’t see a particular product on Spectrum’s list call them to find out if it’s compliant. Also look up TWC compliant modems which will lead you to a Spectrum page.

Most technical contributors to this forum STRONGLY recommend against buying or leasing ANY combined modem + router device.  Why?  Because the user will NOT have access to most router feature settings, TWC will have them locked.  Also because at any time, TWC can remotely reset and overwrite the custom values that you still can change, and they will do it, without notice to you.

TWC and Spectrum both updated their compliant modem listings in January 2017.  There are still some older modem models on these compliance lists which will not provide optimal performance as TWC coninues to modify and expand their cable network channel assignments.  

Don't Buy any modem with less than 16 DS and 4 US channels.  Look specifically for new modem models that began shipping around Christmas 2015 or later.  24 x 8 channels will be better if you plan on using DL speeds above 100 Mbps; sometimes a 32 x 8 would be best if you live in a  large metro area [DFW, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc] where TWC plans to assign more than 24 DS channels. 

Do Buy a separate router with big ugly external antennas whose packaging says BOTH Gigabit (or 1000-bT) Ethernet ports AND also says 802.11 AC Wireless.  This device can be completely reused when you change cable modems or jump to another ISP who distributes signals via a FIber Optic System.

Established Sharer

Completely agree...get separate units. I also like the Arris modems and I personally have the SB6190. My area runs 24 DS channels and the 32 channel 6190 is able to take advantage and serves my purposes perfectly. 

Established Sharer

The SurfBoard series is a fairly old previous generation design which is technically inferior to the 2016 models.  For most customers the MB7420 modem-only 16 x 4 is better able to cope with TWC's network architecture and new internet DS channel plans.  It is tested and approved byTWC and Spectrum for up to 300 Mbps and includes working IPv6 support.  You can find the full list of approved modems and related information at 

Can I purchase my own internet cable modem?

Newcomer

I was using a NetGear N900 dual band cable modem in Santa Barbara, California with CoxCommunication since Nov. 2014. It worked well.

It doesn't support fiber connection though but it can support 450Mb + 450Mb bandwidth at most. Now I've moved to Austin, TX and just changed from AT&T to Spectrum.  I subscribed an up-to-60Mb internet service from Spectrum and it also works well with Spectrum in my apartment after a nice Technician help activated it within half an hour. It works well providing both wired and wireless connection to my TV set, laptops, tablets and mobile phones.

Has anyone used the Linksys Velop system for there home . I currently have a cable - modem that I am leasing.