Highlighted
Observer

I Want to Upgrade Modem

[ Edited ]

I currently own my Motorola SBG 6580 and want to prepare for the future and have been shopping for a new modem and have read your info on compatible devices which I did not see listed any of the ones I would like to jump up to including DOCSIS 3.1 my list is here listed and would like some yes or no answers please ;

ARRIS SurFboard  - SBG 7580 AC

SB 8200

also  this one from Motorola  MG7550. Hope to get some good answers on this to and thank you for your information to.

4 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: I Want to Upgrade Modem

If the modem isn't on the compatible list it isn't guaranteed to operate as expected on the network.

Expert

I wouldn't waste money on a 3.1, It appears Spectrum is going backwards rather than forwards in speeds and technology. I don't forsee them ever allowing IpTv on a coam modem and increased speeds will be via FIOS rather than coaxial infrastructure.

Unless you need IPv6 today, or pay for 200/300, your existing modem will operate at 100/10 speeds reliably.

Also, anything with the Motorola name on it is obsolete as Motorola sold off all the Data products to Arris and Casa several years ago. There is tons of junk on ebay and amazon with the old spec sheeets claiming they're xx times better than dial up and dsl, yet they're obsolete and the speeds are theoretical max under lab conditions and in bursts not continuous modes , written well before streaming video  and cloud storage were in use or even designed.

Established Sharer

New Motorola branded modems are made by Zoom. 

Observer

Thanks so much for the info you have told me all I want or need to hear.

Great Advise also.