Highlighted
Rookie

How to add network bridge or access point without hardwiring to primary router?

I have an old Actiontec MI424WR that I'd like to be able to use as a network bridge/access point without connecting it to our current router with an Ethernet or coax cable. There are plenty of articles stating how to convert it, but none saying how to do so without a wire. Any ideas as to how that could be accomplished?

8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: How to add network bridge or access point without hardworking to primary router?

You run the risk of slowing down your wireless network by half.   I wouldn't use it as a bridge.  I'd use it as a second wireless access point on a different wireless channel, and hard wire it to the gateway.

I know you wrote that you don't want to use an ethernet cable.  I assume it's becuase it is not convenient to do so (i.e. - can't get there from here without leaving a cable on the carpet).  So make use of powerline ethernet adapters.  I use wireless adapters to connect two wireless routers (one is my gateway, the other an old Belkin I use as a second AP on the top floor), and get north of 100 Mbps through the powerline adapters.

Proven Sharer

Re: How to add network bridge or access point without hardworking to primary router?

This link is to the Actiontec support page that gives instructions on how to bridge this model of router. You may need to revise a couple of steps since you aren't on FIOS any longer.

How-to-Bridge-the-Actiontec-MI424WR

Proven Sharer

Powerline adapters are a good alternative as well, but it's an added cost that you may not need. I would at least try the old router as an AP first to see if it negatively impacts your network and other devices.

Rookie

I appreciate your suggestion.  Just a few followup questions.

1. Do you know if the powerline adapters need to be on the same electrical circuit? 
  2. if they can be on different circuits, what kind of speed could I expect ?   
  3. I'm assuming speed coud be based on other devices using the circuits, length of run, etc, but is there a rule of thumb that can be used to estimate speed based on these factors?

Thanks in advance!

Lead Moderator

In my experience the powerline adapters work MUCH better on the same circuit.

I do not recall when we used them off of the same circuit how degraded the speeds 

were, it was obviously slower but we do not game or stream on multiple devices, we are but 2 in the household.  

They are relatively inexpensive, you may want to get one and play with it a bit to find out

where you get the best results. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Thanks Julia - I'll give it a try
Lead Moderator

Let us know how it goes!

Julia 

Rookie

Worked like a charm! Thanks again