Not applicable

Help setting up our Technicolor TC8717t Moden/Router with our Airport Extreme 5th gen set up...

I have a Technicolor TC8717t Modem/Router connected to an Airport Extreme802.11n router in the center of our home with CAT6 (signal issues).  Airport was set up in bridge mode and everything was working good  2 2.4 and 2 5G and a Guest, for a year now idk what happened maybe a reset done by a family member but we lost our WiFi set up in the TC8717t?? I was able to get everything back and working but the "Guest WiFI" set up is missing... idk if it was in the AIrport or the TC8717t?  I don't see in either where it is? HELP Please

9 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Help setting up our Technicolor TC8717t Moden/Router with our Airport Extreme 5th gen set up...

What are you paying Spectrum for?

You write that your Spectrum internet gateway is connected via ethernet cable to the Apple Wireless router.  Is this cable connected to a LAN or WAN port (it should be LAN on both ends).

Are all the routing functions disabled on the Apple Router, and is it acting as an Access Point?  Have you assigned the Apple Router a Static IP address on the same LAN as your Spectrum Router?

Expert

Re: Help setting up our Technicolor TC8717t Moden/Router with our Airport Extreme 5th gen set up...

I thimk you have it backwards.. The 8717 should be inb bridge mode, wireless turned off and the apple set to NAT with all wired devices connected to it. Set the DHCP start for 192.168.1.100 and it's gateway to 192.168.1.1

dhcp lease for a day not an hour

Participant

You should definently read this thread:

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Home-Networking/Technicolor-TC8715D-Bridge-Mode-Setup/m-p/1194...

This is what I used to set up my Technicolor TC8717 modem.   Goodluck!!!!!

Not applicable

Time Warner is our ISP  and the Apple is connected to the Tecnicolor with a  50' CAT6 cable.

I have everything set up how it was before the settings were lost last week.  (we had terrible dropping of wifi  connection and sometimes no connections found at all in some parts of the home.

The only issue I have is I can't get the guest wifi that we had back, and I can't find a setting for it on the Technicolor or the Apple????

Established Sharer

If you have the Technicolor set in Bridging mode (NAT and DHCP both off), then you cannot have guest WiFi enabled in that unit.  You might try turning on the NAT and DHCP functions in the TC8717 and turning them off in the Airport EX5.  Of course, if you are renting that TC8717 from your service provider, they can always reset your gateway at any time. 

That's why many commenters in the forums recommend setting a rented modem to bridging mode and program your personally owned Airport to provide the NAT and DHCP.  Then the worst Spectrum can do to hurt you is turn on NAT, DHCP, and the WiFi radios in their gateway.  They can't get to anything in the Airport. 

By the way, using CAT-6 ethernet cable instead of CAT-5e has no effect on signal levels between the cable network and modem, to or from the WiFi radios, or the data speeds.

Not applicable

Hello karlbeckman,  from what I can tell DHCP is enabled on the technicolor but I dont see where the NAT setting is ... excuse my ignorance in this .

Valued Participant

You should have Spectrum technical support bridge the Technicolor. They have access to bridge it properly on their end. If you try to do it yourself, it may not properly enter bridge mode.

According to the user manual, the AirPort Extreme should be able to create a guest network:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1576/en_US/airport_extreme_5th_gen_setup.pdf

Create a guest network with or without password protection, to provide Internet-only access to wireless devices, such as computers, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Apple TV.

Helper

kjgrwv1 wrote:

The only issue I have is I can't get the guest wifi that we had back, and I can't find a setting for it on the Technicolor or the Apple????

To enable a guest network on an Apple Airport router, open the Airport Utility app, click the Edit button next to the router, go to the Wireless tab, then check the Enable Guest Network box. Once checked, name the guest network and set security if you wish. 

Highlighted
Expert

It must have a diffferent SSID.

If open, turn on AP Isolation to block guests from accessing your other devices... It gives them internet only access.

You can use multiple NAT routers but they must all have different gateways.

first 192.168.1.1

second  192.168.4.1

third 192.168.27.1

etc...