ZCC
Rookie

HP Envy 5530 printer drops off TWC network

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 5530 printer that continually drops off the home network.   I have to power cycle it to gain access to it from my Windows 10 PC.    I can print a few docs, then the printer drops off the network again.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?   I should add that occasionally my Windows 10 PC also drops off the network, and I need to power cycle it to fix the connectivity problem.

Thanks,

ZCC

4 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: HP Envy 5530 printer drops off TWC network

The low-tier HP Envy series of inkjet printers are notorious for dropping their WiFi network connections.  These printers have no wired ethernet port, just a 2.4 GHz [only] WiFi radio with rather limited performance and usually a USB2 wired port.

Remember the saying "You snooze, you lose!"  When the printer goes to sleep after running a print job, it gives up its DHCP address assignment.  Then you have to restart the printer to get it back on the network again.

I recommend that you assign the printer a static IP address on your network and be sure the 2.4 GHz wireless channel of your router is not receiving interference from one of your neighbors.  HP's online chat and other experts on this forum can provide guidance on programming the static IP address settings into your printer.  My Envy  printer still doesn't work right on my network, so I'll lurk in the background to get some hints. 

Also you must keep any video streaming devices on the 5 GHz band.  Streaming and WiFi printing are not compatible uses for 2.4 GHz WiFi; they will fight to the death for airtime on 2.4 GHz.

Expert

Use an ethernet connection, if it doesn't have one,send it back.

You need ethernet and a static IP set properly

WIFI is simply JUNK SCIENCE and not designed for what people are trying to do on iot no matter what manufacturers claim.

It should work in a single family house with the nearest neighbor 500 or more feet away, Other than that it WILL NOT WORK IN DENSE HOUSING OR A BUSINESS ENVIORNMENT.

I can run thru a list of things you can try, but many times they are still unreliable.

( I'm presently attempting to rectify a DirecTv nightmare that one of their salespeople sold to an unknowledgeable biz customer to run their POS and 7 ""cast" TV's on a Uverse 20 meg max ADSL system that doesn't cover half the building....  And it's now a painted, wallpapered and finished ready to move in...and the directv installer told them it won't work.

So if you thiink TWC/ Spectrum is bad, go switch to Uverse, DirecTv

ZCC
Rookie

Wow!   Thank you so much!    I hate the Envy line of printers - but it's the printer of my boss, so I have little choice in the matter!

ZCC

Expert

Set the DHCP lease for a day, not an hour. Set this on a static IP and also turn off the Wifi channel scanning (auto) mode in the router and lock it onto a specific channel like 3 or 8 if you're in a congested area that has lots of ch 1-6-11 users