Boz
Sharer

Equipment & WiFi Speed Questions

We previously had a TWC Ubee MTA Model DVW32CB combo modm/router.

We recently updated service and the equipment Spectrum provided is now 2 devices, a Technicolor MTA DPC3216 and a Sagemcom Router Model 5260.

I'm mainly asking because we upgraded to 120Mbps internet, but if connecting with 2.4GHz WiFi, we only get around 40Mbps down and 11Mbps up.  But if connecting with 5GHz WiFi, we get around 120Mbps down and 11Mbps up.

Is that much of a download speed difference between 2.4 and 5GHz normal?

Which equipment setup is better?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Equipment & WiFi Speed Questions

neither.

use the 5 ghz for higher speed and poorer range

you don't need it anyway.

10-20 megs per device is plenty for all streaming and gaming stability dies over 50 megs

Boz
Sharer

Okay.  Thanks.

But I'm still wondering if only getting around 40Mbps down and 11Mbps up when using 2.4GHz WiFi on a 120Mbps connection is "normal".

Rookie

Yes this is normal over 2.4 GHz connections. As MsRaye said, 5 GHz operates on a higher radio wave frequency, meaning more data can be transferred in a lesser amount of time over this WiFi connection. However because of the higher frequency, 5 GHz has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz. 2.4 GHz WiFi uses a lower radio wave frequency which means less data can be transferred over this connection in a certain amount of time, but because of the low frequency, this WiFi connection has a longer range. So to sum it all up, yes this is very normal. I have the same plan and get the same speeds that you do, and our 2.4 GHz is about the same, 40/11.
Boz
Sharer

Thank a lot, Jtelia!  i appreciate it.

To follow up on part of my original question, for anybody that can answer it, I though I had read in various places that an all-in-one modem/router is less desireable in most cases than a separate modem and router.

As I stated above, we had a TWC Ubee MTA Model DVW32CB combo modm/router prefiously.  It performed just fine for our uses, providing 30/5Mbps on our previous 30Mbps TWC internet service, and good WiFi signal all over the 3 floors of our house.

Is there any reason the equipment we received after upgrading to the Spectrum 120Mbps internet, a Technicolor MTA DPC3216 and a Sagemcom Router Model 5260, is any better or worse than the previous Ubee MTA Model DVW32CB would be on the new Spectrum 120Mbps internet service?

Established Sharer

@Bozwrote:
* * *  MESSAGE CONTENT EDITED  * * *

Is there any reason the equipment we received after upgrading to the Spectrum 120Mbps internet, a Technicolor MTA DPC3216 and a Sagemcom Router Model 5260, is any better or worse than the previous Ubee MTA Model DVW32CB would be on the new Spectrum 120Mbps internet service?

YES. 

Some newer modems use a PUMA  chip set, made by Intel, which is known to have internal processing defects that reduce speed and increase internal 'ping' delays.   Spectrum does rent some of these defective gateway devices to customers, and some customers have unwittingly purchased their own.   I don't have a table of the known PUMA models, but others who post here are requested to post their lists and their performance experiences. 

Helper

I have an SB6190 with the Puma6 chipset and speeds are not impacted. I don't have any noticable issues at all since I don't do online gaming, voip, video conferencing, or other high latency sensitive things.  If you do any of these things, avoid the Puma6 (most commonly the Arris SB6190, TM1602 and TG1672 combos, and Netgear CM700, among a few others).