Observer

Does anyone use a upc for their modem

After last nights power outage, I had quite a time reconfiguring all the devices I have attached to my router, switch, and modem. I was wondering if anyone uses a UPC and if so what size and how long do you think it run your modem, router, and switch?

2 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Does anyone use a upc for their modem

yes.  but with too much of a load, the run time is short..

you shouldn't have to reconfigure anything... I'll bet this is an all in one rather than seperate modem and router...

Established Sharer

Re: Does anyone use a upc for their modem

captgadget wrote:

After last nights power outage, I had quite a time reconfiguring all the devices I have attached to my router, switch, and modem. I was wondering if anyone uses a UPC and if so what size and how long do you think it run your modem, router, and switch?

I think you are referring to a UPS, or uninterruptible power supply, not a Universal Product Code.  But you have a far bigger problem to attack and resolve.  Most network devices retain their last known settings in memory when you unplug the power supply, so they can restart quickly and without manual intervention.  If your equipment has to be reconfigured whenever the power goes off, something is not set up properly. 

The UPS run time depends on both the size of the battery (its source of energy) and the load (the rate you consume the energy).  So to buy an adequately sized UPS you need to find out how much power each of your critical network devices requires, add those numbers up, and pick a UPS rated for that many watts.  Skip the printers, phone and computer battery chargers, 55" UHD TV set, and 800 watt surround sound system.

Next you need to guess at how long the power will be off.  Be honest, you and I have no flippin' idea and neither does the power company or Spectrum, your internet provider.  Most consumer electronics UPS units provide their rated power for only 5 to 8 minutes.  That should be long enough for you to run a quick backup and then shut down a desktop computer. 

DO NOT EVER connect your coax cable through a built-in surge protector in the UPS housing!!  They let outside broadcast TV and 4G LTE cellphone interference get into the cable, which will severely mess up data upload and download speeds for the entire neigborhood.

Now, after you have bought the right size UPS and plugged only the really important things into its outlets, it's time to work on the real puzzle:  Figure out why your network devices don't hold their settings when the lights flicker, then make the needed electronic programming and physical configuration changes.