Highlighted

DDW36C & WR1043ND Wireless Bridge

Here's the setup:

I have a Ubee DDW36C (referred to as "modem" here-in) all-in-one. I previously had it in bridge mode using my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (aka "router") for all my routing functions and it worked gloriously. My only issue is that I have a couple devices that require them to be hardwired. Now, as you might have guessed, I have the modem in a separate room from all the devices. So, hardwiring is a no-go unless I want cables running through my house. My router has the ability to do WDS bridging and as far as I can tell, so does the modem. I followed the instructions here per my router manufacturer and everything looked great as I could see my router in the modem's client list as well as the static IP I assigned it showing in the DHCP tables.

That's about where the troubles start...

I can connect wirelessly to my modem and receive internet signal and even connect to the router's firmware. But when I connected wirelessly or wired through the router, I receive no internet and no IP address. Even with a specified IP address in the correct pool, I'm still not allowed to access anything. I've even enabled/disabled the wireless bridging function in the modem and nothing.

If anyone can shed some light, I'd love to get all this worked out and put behind me.

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: DDW36C & WR1043ND Wireless Bridge

Ok, there is a long list of things you need to do.

But I've found some will only become a client bridge with the same MFG's AP at the other end.

AP router@ the modem MUST have NAT turned on and plenty of DHCP id's from 192.168.x.100 to lets say 150 as well as locked onto a wireless channel

The client bridge must have dhcp turned off as well as set to the correct encryption and passcode entered.  It must have a different SSID for wireless repeat to work . It should also be locked onto the same  wireless channel, preferably not 1-6-11... 

it then should  be able toget dhcp device addy's for it's wired clients.

I've gone through a multitude of things to get this setup working.

1. Set my modem (Ubee DDW36C) into NAT Router mode.
  2. Hard reset my router. (TP-Link WR1043ND)
  3. Hardwired directly to said router and set up wireless; making sure the SSID is different than the modem as well as noting SSID, channel and encryption settings.
  4. Enabled WDS bridging on router using previously noted settings.
  5. Disabled DHCP on router.
  6. Changed IP of router to one in the modem's DHCP pool.
  7. Saved and reboot both modem and router.

Other optional things I've tried but have since switched back to default settings:

• Set modem into NAT only mode.
  • Enabled Wireless Bridging option in modem firmware using the correct MAC address.
  • Set IP range of modem to include static IP of router.
  • Set router's IP as a static lease in modem's firmware.
  • Turned off SPI firewall in router's firmware.

There might be more, but I'm honestly drained and might just take the easy way out and use a dedicated wireless bridging device.

Valued Participant

You can only bridge router-router wirelessly. You can not bridge modem-router.

Buy a cheap router that can be flashed with dd-wrt or someother 3rd party firmware and you're all set ( I used a Netgear R6250 and I can bridge from a main router 1 floor away).

btw, are you paying Spectrum $5/m for the wifi feature in the Ubee?

So, I decided all of this wasn't worth the trouble just for a little efficiency and the extra routing options.

I had an old TP-Link pocket router/repeater that I set into WDS bridge mode and copied the settings as I've done dozens of times before. Picked it up right away. Must be some incompatibility between the WR1043ND and the DDW36C.

Seems you CAN wireless bridge the TWC modem to a 3rd party router.

I'll just use this setup for now, as it's makeshift and I can't stand having the wires setup the way they are.

Thanks for your time.

Expert

When the TWC combo is put into bridge mode, the wireless is supposed to be off.

Established Sharer

So what MsRaye is warning you about is "Don't be surprised the next time thety reboot your modem and the WiFi signals disappear.   They aren't supposed to be on if  the device is in bridged mode. "

Expert

You can't have multiple devices on a bridged device, wired or wireless as TWC/ Spectrum only supplies one public IP address.  

Using a wireless connection to connect a NAT router to the modem is a huge issue as it cuts the speed in half and any other device that tries to log in will steal the IP address kicking off one that was logged on.

You need to run a wired or MOCA link.